Skip to main content

Hurt People...

"Your pain can either be your platform or your prison." Carl Lentz

You decide.

Whether you are hurting because of the continuous atrocities of our hurting nation and world, or someone has personally hurt you, we all experience pain. We are going to hurt at some point or another. The question is, how will we respond.

Carl Lentz preached about pain. He talked about how we are so focused on the breakdown or the breakthrough that we don't see God in the every day. We are so consumed with the overwhelming loss or with waiting for the big break, that we don't experience the opportunities for growth in the normal every day life.

We can let pain, heart-ache, betrayal, and injustice bind us in a place of pain or use it for our platform. When we allow others or circumstances to define us, we are the ones stuck behind bars, not the perpetrator(s). What are we going to do with the pain?

Hurt people hurt people. We've all heard this saying or seen this quote. It circulates so often because it's true. Hurt leads to bitterness. bitterness to anger. Anger can stir up all kinds of yuck. So, what are we going to do with hurt?

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

God calls us to three things: act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with Him. He doesn't call us here to seek justice. He doesn't tell us to only give mercy to those who have repented of their wrongs and apologized. He doesn't tell us to shout our side loudly with pride-filled hearts on the streets or on the Internet. Nope.

Act justly.

Love mercy.

Walk humbly.

Three simple steps. Yet, they are so hard for us to follow.

Why? Why do we struggle to act justly in ALL situations. Why do we struggle to love mercy when it comes to those who have wronged us? Why do we choose pride before humility? Because we look everywhere else but the direction of the One who was the greatest example of these three things.

'Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.' Luke 23:34

Jesus is hanging on the cross. His hands nailed above his head. Nails pierce his feet at the bottom. His body collapsing suffocating him. He is dying the most excruciating death. All the while, he is witness to others mocking him and casting lots for his possessions. He sees his mother in agony as she watches her son die a slow and painful death. And what is his reaction to all this? Does he destroy his wrong-doers property? Does he publicly shame them on social media? Does he ask God to destroy them in a ball of fire? He could have done anything. He is God. But he didn't. He chose to ask the Father to forgive them. While struggling to breath, he asks for their pardon.

Y'all. This is what we do. We ask for God to pardon those who wrong us. Period. No questions asked. This does not mean we let wrongs continue. This does not give those who have done wrong a free pass. Justice will come and be served. This is for you. For me. Living a life of acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly in forgiveness frees us from our prisons and gives us a platform to change the world.

We are beat down. All of us. We are all waiting for that text of apology; that acknowledgement of wrong-doing. It may never come. We all think this horrific event will be the one that wakes us up and unites us all. It may never come. What will you do then? Will you live in your prison or will you make it your platform?

Act justly.

Love mercy.

Walk humbly.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grady's Story

Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil...

Joys and Sorrows

Ok,so I don't really know what to say. All I know is that writing is therapeutic for me and I think I need a little therapy right now. Where to begin? I guess with my doctor appointment. I went in for my routine 12 week check-up only to find out some grim news...the baby had no heartbeat and stopped developing at 10 weeks. No...this cannot be happening...again. There is just no way. God wouldn't allow this to happen again. Yet, it did. How am I feeling, you ask? Honestly, I don't really know. I am deeply saddened, angry,hurt, overwhelmed, fearful, determined, full of faith, lacking in faith, etc., etc. How should I be feeling? What should I do now? Do I sit and cry or do I go finish the errands I need to get done today? I am at a loss. What I do know is that less then a week ago I was experiencing such great joy. I watched my son enjoy the very things I loved as a child. I enjoyed time spent with my husband and with us as a family. I felt my toes in the sand, watched my fav...