Skip to main content

Cultural Christianity

I think there is one thing we can all agree on politically: the United States has been nothing short of wonky in the political arena in the last few years. We have fallen off our rocker. Am I right? Don't worry. This is not a political post. However, it may get some a little riled up, but that's okay.

What if I told you that our shift away from cultural Christianity is a good thing? I think I just heard everyone gasp in harmony. In all seriousness, what if a shift away from Christianity being the cultural norm is not a bad thing?

The words “once more” indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe Hebrews 12:27-28

God tells us that he is going to do a little shaking. He does some shaking in our lives. He is sifting out the unnecessary stuff, the stuff that keeps us from him, and leaving our foundation in him. This shaking out of cultural Christianity is not a bad thing. Of course we want our country to align with a Christ-centered moral compass. I do not disagree. However, this shaking forces you and me to decide where we stand.

Do we stand firm on the Cornerstone OR do we follow Christianity because it's what we were brought up to believe?

A cultural shift away from Christianity forces the "believer" to decide whether they are going to stick around and live out this faith thing or if they are going to walk because the shaking is too hard. This change in our society summons us to decide whether or not we are going to hold onto our faith for dear life even when we are challenged to the core.

Our family recently went to the Christmas tree farm to pick out our Christmas tree. We go the first weekend in December every year and chop down our tree. Call me Clark Griswold, but I LOVE it! Once you cut your tree down, they take your tree to the staging center. There, they cut a bit of the end off and get it ready to throw through the netting so you can tie it to the roof of your car and take it home. Before they throw your tree through the net, they put it on this mechanism that shakes off all the excess needles. This process makes me think of us and these times we are living in.

Are you going to be the needles that fall to the ground because you can't withstand the shaking or are you going to stay attached to the tree?

I don't want to fall to the ground. I don't want a shift in culture to have the power to knock down my faith. When life around me shakes my beliefs, I want to hold tightly to that tree; to God. Shaking is good for us. It reminds us what we believe and challenges us if our belief isn't fully rooted. Shaking removes the needles that were only there because it looked pretty or smelled good not because they were in it for the long haul. Shaking dares us to go deeper even if the mission before us is daunting.

Our faith, our Christianity has got to be more than a cultural thing. If our world crumbled today (let's face it, we kind of feel like it already has), would your faith still stand?

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.