Skip to main content

Lightning, Thunderstorms, oh...Revelation???

I went to bed last night defeated. I wept myself to sleep praying to God. I am overwhelmed. I don't know what to say or pray. I begin asking God the "why's." Why am I still going through the physical aspects of a miscarriage? It's been almost a month. Why was my uncle taken so quickly from my aunt and his children? They were supposed to grow old traveling together and enjoying one another. Why are my best friends being put through the trial of their life with no answers? Why does their sweet baby boy who is a perfect angel have to endure this? Why are our friends in California enduring a trial that has lasted more than two years? Why God? Why? To top it all off, I was exhausted and Jackson would not go down. Scott and I tried for over two hours to get the little guy down but he would cry so hard he made himself sick. So, he ended up in our bed. Although this usually is a blessing, I know I am not going to get the much needed rest I longed for because I would have toddler toes stuck in my ribs all night. I did, however, finally fall asleep around midnight.

Two hours later I was awakened by one of our loudest thunderstorms yet. With lightning flashing all around illuminating our room and thunder booming viciously, I begin to sense God's power. I have always had a fear of thunderstorms from the time I can remember. I don't know why. My heart was racing at first, and then I was calmed. I realized that God is all powerful. He is in control. He showed me His power last night as the hail came plummeting down and the rain poured out of the clouds so fast that I thought the water was going to break through our roof. However, I was not afraid. I basked in God's power.

I thought about all the trials that are in and around me. They reminded me of this storm; a violent turn in all our lives that we don't understand. As the storm kept on ferociously I began to think about our trials and how excruciatingly painful they are; how bad they hurt. Like the storm, they twist and turn in us and seem like they are never going to end. Then, there is silence. The storm just stops. The house is quiet; still. "Be still and know that I am God." He will quiet the storm. He always does even when it seems like it will never end. The clouds will roll back and the sun will shine. Our trials, too, will fade. And we will see His glory and sense that refreshing clean smell that comes after a good hard rain.

So, what did I learn. I learned that the storm is hard right now. But, even in the midst of the chaos of lightning flashes and thunder rolling, He is near. He is powerful and shall overcome the burden(s) that are so deep. I fought having Jackson in our bed last night. I wanted to drown my sorrows in a meaningless TV show and then fall asleep. But God knew better. He knew that I'd want my baby next to me when the storm hit. He knew I'd be blessed at 2am to have my muchkin breathing sweetly in my ear as the thunder rolled. He knew. I fought. In the end He won and I was blessed. This is my revelation.

In memory of my sweet loving Uncle Don. You will be missed. We love you dearly and pray that you will watch over us always and sing "presents, presents, presents" at Christmas!

He is the sweet man with the beard on the far left.

Comments

Blair Bulletin said…
Wow! Megs..what a powerful message, written with such emotion! You are such a strong woman and each day I'm blessed by your blog, painting the love you have for God, your family and friends. Miss you in my life!
Erica
Reed said…
I'm sad for your loss and share the same "why?" sentiment. But I am glad to hear that you were able to see God's power in our lives. There will never be an answer to the whys. But we do not need one because it is all in His hands. Peace be with you~Kadi
Kristi said…
You are such a strong woman. There's no doubt that you are going through some very hard things right now and thank God that you have Him. I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Take care.
Anonymous said…
See? I texted you today after I got your text and you didn't text back. I should've called you. But I didn't. And I am so sorry for that. I had no idea that you were enduring more than the miscarriage right now. I'm so sorry about your uncle. I hope you're feeling better. I miss you so much and I love you.
Whitney said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. I also find myself asking a lot of "whys." But I think your post has such a great message....that God will help us overcome our trials. What he leads us to, he will lead us through. :)
GioMitchTrev said…
What a great revelation! God once again works in mysterious ways to help us in our lives. I am so sad for your loss. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.