Skip to main content

Tuesday Thoughts...

I didn't follow through on Monday Musings so I thought I'd share my thoughts today. I have been wavering back and forth with what to write. I thought maybe I'd get some profound epiphanies through the scripture I read today but that didn't happen. Unfortunately my mind kept wandering back to surrender. A topic I didn't want to face.

We had communion at church Sunday. Now, I always get a little weepy during this but Sunday it was uncontrollable. I couldn't wipe the tears away fast enough. No, I wasn't sad. I was scared. I hadn't completely surrendered to God some things I needed to let go of and knew I needed to. I had one of those heart pounding moments where I knew I had to do something but didn't want to because the road might be difficult. Notice how I said "might." I don't really know if the road after surrender will be tough, I just assume it will. I set myself up to deal with the worst even though the worst hasn't been presented to me.

I limit God in His awesome abilities by not truly surrendering. I have been looking everywhere for a sign preparing me for the fall. You know the thoughts: everything is calm, things are starting to look up, there has to be a storm brewing around the corner; some bad news to come my way. Gosh, is this a way to live??? Absolutely not!!!! And the funny thing is all the scripture I have read has been encouraging, worship songs I have heard inspiring, and things in the lives of those I love going good.

However, I am one to freak myself out and worry to death over what might be in order to "prepare" myself for the worst. Eck! This is not a healthy way to live. I remember a little bit after Scott proposed to me I would cry out of fear that I would marry this man and something bad would happen (ex: divorce). He was what my heart longed for and there was no way I was to be that blessed. So, I began to freak myself out thinking somethng had to go wrong. I remember my sweet fiance at the time saying to me, "Just enjoy being engaged. Don't worry about tomorrow or what might never happen. Just enjoy today and being engaged today." That "pep talk" has stuck with me these past 6 years. Needless to say he has had many more of those with me over the years of our marriage:) But, I look back and can honestly ask myself, "What was I so afraid of?" I have a near perfect marriage to a man that is beyond incredible. I feared for nothing. What a waste of time.

So,there I sat on Sunday with the bread and grape juice in my lap tears falling. I knew I had to surrender. Life is too good to waste on worrying about what might be, or what might never be for that matter. Right then and there in my seat I surrendered. I let go and felt a sense of calm and freedom like no other. It was wonderful. I let God take the wheel if only for a moment.

I must admit to you that I am a "worry about what might be" addict and it is going to take time for me to overcome this. That afternoon I cried a little to Scott asking him to pray for peace for me because I once again grabbed onto that fear I had let go of only hours before. I have even had moments today where I have had to pray a prayer of surrender to God. Even though I haven't fully let go, I know I am in the process of doing so. God does not ask for perfection. He just asks for me to try with an honest heart. If I could just let go on my own I wouldn't need Him. So, I enter another moment feeling free, if only for a second. I will pray again and surrender seeking the God I so desperately want to take the reigns. And He will. I just have to let go...

Comments

Carly Peters said…
I am a "worry about what might happen" addict too. It is hard to let go and just live in the moment. Beautifully written. Thanks for the insight my friend. Miss your face!
BML said…
My therapist calls this catastrophizing. You and I are perfect examples of it.
I worry I'll be alone for the rest of my life. At least you don't have to worry about that....

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.