Skip to main content

A Moment That Will Last a Lifetime


The boys and I hopped in the car after Jackson's Martial Arts class and headed out to get cheeseburgers. Daddy was working late so the boys and I decided to have a carpet picnic. On our way to get our gourmet meal, Jack asked me why some people pray before bed. We started discussing how we can talk to God anywhere anytime. He asked how God hears us and I let him know that God hears us because He is everywhere; He is in our hearts.

In true Jackson fashion he asked, "Well, how does God get in my heart? What if He wants out?" I began talking to him about Jesus and he cut me off explaining that Jesus died on the cross so He could live in our hearts. I continued the conversation asking him if he ever accepted Jesus into his heart and if he really knew what that meant. He said no but that he wanted to. So, we discussed sin and what it means and why Jesus had to die as a sacrifice for us.

As I was frantically trying to get to Whataburger so I could park and talk to him, he continued to probe me with some fairly deep questions that I didn't know if I could answer. Once I finally parked, I jumped out of the car and rushed to the back seat. He and I sat eye to eye as I explained to him once more what it meant to accept Jesus as his Lord and Savior. He was able to explain to me what that meant and was ready to pray the prayer.

With his little brothers watching, Jack and I folded our hands together and we prayed the sinners prayer. I tried to make it through without crying. Afterward, I hugged him and explained to him that he now had the Holy Spirit dwelling within that would help guide him on his faith journey. He thought that was pretty cool. He also sang a little song that I thankfully got on my phone about asking God into his heart so that he could go to Heaven.

Life stopped during this moment. Time stood still. I heard nothing but the sound of my son's sweet voice making the decision of a lifetime. He is only four and a half years old. I am sure we will continue to discuss his faith and he will have more choices to make as he grows, matures, and becomes his own person. However, he has begun to build a solid foundation for his life. For that, I couldn't be more thankful or proud.

I will never forget this day!

Comments

Carly Peters said…
That is so awesome! I heard Gavin just did the same thing. What a huge blessing for the both of you. You are a great Mom. Miss you all!
Becca said…
What a very special moment for you both!
missy said…
Oh Meg~
I am so incredibly proud and amazed that Jack asked Jesus into his heart....it must be one of the most wonderful feelings in the world to know that you and Scott have been doing everything right! Brovo Mommy!! And hopefully this is just what you needed to get your bloggy toes wet again :).....I've missed your beautiful writing and encouraging words, friend!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.