As the trees come back to life and the grass turns green I think of the classic story, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carl. I love this story. I remember reading it as a child and now I share it with my children and the preschoolers I teach. As winter fades and spring blossoms I relish in the blessing of new life. I, too, feel as though I am ending one chapter and heading into another blossoming through all that God is teaching me.
I, like that very hungry caterpillar, have experienced a journey of famine that led to an overflowing leading to pains and stretching and a time of seclusion so that He may do His great work in me. I have felt like I was in a cocoon. It was tight and squishy and dark and scary. Many times I tried to wiggle my way out too soon leading to difficulties I most likely would not have faced had I trusted completely in Him. But you see, I got claustrophobic and thought if I could only get myself out of this cocoon a little sooner I can breathe and live and spread my wings. Control. I knew what I could handle and what I could wrap my brain around therefore, in my mind, I was done in that murky cold place that was far too tight. And then He tugged on me.
What I didn't realize is that the only way He could turn me into the beautiful masterpiece He had created I had to go through the process that was the cocoon. I had to push and be pulled back. To hurt. To question. Feel. And fret. I had to be tried and experience great joys. I had to be moved in such a mighty way that I am changed. As this season of my life comes to a close and He leads me on a new journey, I get to spread the magnificent wings He has given me and soar into the story He has written for me.
"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phillippians 1:6
Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...
Comments