Skip to main content

Scars and Stories

"Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." Hebrews 10:25 I sat at the island in my kitchen listening to Grandma Fish share stores of her adventures with Grandpa Fish. What a cool experience! She had quite the life with him and while her stories made me miss him, I relished in her listening to her talk. We all have stories to tell, life lived, scars to explain. Many times we are too hurried or rushed to hear the fullness of someone's life. We think we know someone's story because we read about it on Facebook or Twitter or heard about it from a friend. We know in our hearts, however, that the stories portrayed on the internet aren't our full life or even our real life. God, the author and perfector, creates beautiful, magical, crazy stories in our lives. He does this for us to live a fully abundant life but also that we may share with one another how we are journeying through it all bringing Him glory. The Bible is chalked full of stories; wonderful stories. We learn and grow in our lives as we read about these incredible people who, like us, journeyed through their faith stumbling and questioning. Even if you are not a believer or regular church goer, you have heard many of the stories of the Bible. I think our stories get lost in translation today. We take what the media says as truth. We hear a story about someone from a friend and it defines that person even though it may not be true. We read a status and think we know the person. We have lost the long conversations over a meal or coffee where we lose track of time. We take what others say about someone as truth instead of taking the time to listen to their story in person. "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17 I wear my heart on my sleeve. I do not hide what I am feeling or experiencing and probably share more than I should. However, those who truly know me, my life's journey, and my heart are in my inner circle. They are the people that have sat down with me and listened to my story; not judged but listened with two ears and a closed mouth. They know how much and how hard I love. How I long for justice and truth and everything right in a world that is so wrong in so many ways. They know that my three precious boys did not come easy. Rather, they are a perfect blessing from God alone after many struggles, miscarriages, and surprises. The people who listen to my story know that my marriage is not perfect and takes beautiful messy work. They know my family and my friends are my everything and I would do anything for them. These listeners know that my faith is at the very core of my being penetrating my soul so deeply that it's who I am. Those who really want to know me know that I am an absolute clutz, obsessive neat freak, I too often take myself too seriously, and can really be a dumb blond at times. They know my scars. They know my story. "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11 I guess my challenge is that we take the time to listen and learn from one another again. God did not write our stories just for us to live and keep to ourselves. He designed us to fellowship with one another and I don't think He meant in our Sunday best at church once a week. I think He desires us to get dirty and roll-up our sleeves learning from each other's stories. Think what we can gain if we listen to the story of people's lives...truth, encouragement, and being challenged just to name a few. There wouldn't be rumors or judgment about something we overheard or only heard one side because we listened to the source or both sides of the story. We could be encouraged through a trial because we listened to someone's story of survival of the exact thing we are experiencing. We could be challenged by the story of someone's life prompting us to give or serve a place of need. We all have scars. We all have stories. Don't be afraid to share. Someone needs to hear. Don't be afraid to ask to hear someone's side or story. That person has a need to share. And finally, don't be afraid to listen. That time spent listening will not be wasted. God gave us two ears and only one mouth for a reason;) Blessings, Megan "That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ." 1 John 1:3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.