Skip to main content

Altered State

What I remember most about walking into one of my favorite stores is crying. I remember the feeling of the store with all its beauty, peace, awe-inspiring quotes, worship music quietly playing, and prayer table at the back. There was peace. Calm. Quiet. And tears. I sat in the dressing room the day after my friend had lost her sister and sobbed. I felt my tasks were so mundane while my friend suffered her heart torn out at the loss of a sister far too soon. Yet, I felt peace as if I were in another reality. Life was swirling by continuing on as it should as I sat paralyzed in grief for my friend and her family all-the-while experiencing this altered state. I cannot believe it has been almost a year since that moment. I visited the store a few times since. I walked in the other day and began to think about the name of the store: Altered State. I believe this is the way God intended us to live. "Dear friends, I urge you; as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us." 1Peter 2:10-12 We are called to live differently; to live in such a way that unbelievers take notice and are attracted to God through us and the way we live our lives. He isn't calling us to point our noses in the air and snub others. He is calling us to become more like His son and through that others see the grace, mercy, forgiveness, and unconditional love of a Father who never fails and never leaves. There should be humility and kind words; graciousness and hospitality. Our thoughts should be set on Him and our lives built upon His firm foundation. "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 11:19 This verse encompasses the very essence of living an altered state. These words challenge me to live fully in His presence. I can't think of Him only during prayer, my daily devotion, or on Sunday mornings. No. Living an altered state, to me, means thinking on Him everywhere all the time. Thinking on His beauty, His splendor, His grace and tender mercies, His truth, His majesty, His enormity yet the ability to reveal Himself in things so small. Living an altered state means my thought process is changed, my attitude renewed, my life humbled. Jesus isn't something I place in my back pocket or on my to-do list. He is the very essence of my being. I believe that this world would be changed mightily if believers rose up to the challenge of living in an altered state. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone, the new is here." 2 Corinthians 5:17 Love & Blessings, Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.