Skip to main content

Intolerant Tolerance

Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ These two commands are pegs; everything in God’s Law and the Prophets hangs from them.” Matthew 22:36-40 Jesus tells us there are two things He finds important for us to know and live: love God and love people. Everything else "hangs" on these two principles. Most Christians will say they do exactly that: love. However, we fall short. If we loved as God intended and created us to, churches would be bursting at the seams not losing members. Our world has become a place of intolerant tolerance. We say we are a giant melting pot tolerating everyone no matter what yet if we don't agree with what you say we become intolerant because they do not agree with us and thus, are wrong. And because they don't agree and are wrong (according to our opinions), it is completely acceptable to be intolerant. According to dictionary.com, intolerance means, "a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own." This does not mean we have to accept others' choices as right for ourselves. This means, to me, that we are not their judge. He is. We don't need to tell others how to live their lives. They get to choose. God created us as free thinkers (thank goodness). Our only responsibility, according to the above Scripture, is to love God and love others. He will do the rest. And you know what? People have permission to think and live and do as they have decided. He created us this way. We, in return, are to love. What a freeing concept. I love that people, especially those in the lime-light, are becoming more outspoken about their faith. I think we have been silenced for far too long and are called to live and stand firm in what we believe. We are to stand on Scripture presenting His Word as life. That's it. We aren't called to judge or tell people they are wrong. I think this is what turns people away from church and God. Who wants to enter a place where everyone is scouring at you because of the choices you've made. I guarantee I could not find one Christian who would like their life exposed to the public for the same fears as non-believers. And why do we feel the need to attack and defend so quickly when someone doesn't like hearing His Word? Yes, we are to put on the full armor of God but that does not give us permission to go around like a bully knocking everyone down who doesn't believe. As my pastor so eloquently and simply puts it, "If lost people matter to God, then they should matter to us." Who did Jesus hang out with? He sure didn't enjoy hanging with the Pharisees. If He could be annoyed, I am sure He would have been with them. He befriended those that are abandoned today. He loved on them with regardless of their flaws not judging but speaking truth and love into their lives so richly they could do nothing less but fall to their knees and proclaim His name and splendor to as many people as would listen. This is how God tells us to live, "But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted. Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they’ll be won over to God’s side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives." 1 Peter 2:10-12 Friends, we are supposed to love on those far from Christ so much so that they want nothing less but the unconditional love and mercy He has set forth for them that they witness in your life. Then, we get to celebrate when they finally see and accept Him in all His goodness, faithfulness, and acceptance. How amazing and awesome would it be if you loved on one unbeliever and were blessed with the opportunity to see them through the end accepting salvation and rejoicing with them. I want people to be drawn to my wondrous God through my love for them. I will not waiver in my faith and moral code based on His Word through loving them. I will, however, do what He has called me to do...love Him and love others. "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17 Love & Blessings, Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.