Skip to main content

Hissy Fit

I would like to say I am the girl who remains calm and steadfast going to God in prayer in all situations for all things. Sadly, I am not her. I am the girl that you will find in the fetal position crying like a woman trying to get out of a speeding ticket. I find myself shedding tears and stomping my feet thinking that maybe, just maybe, I will get my way. I chase God in moments of uneasiness instead of resting in His steadfastness. Oh, how I long for and am striving to be the girl who knows Him in such an intimate way that nothing, nothing, can rock my world to the point of a hissy fit.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. " Jeremiah 29:11

I have held tightly to this verse for 18 years. You would think it would be embedded on my heart in such a way that I would rest in it every single time things got rocky. Even though this verse is home to me, I do not always reach in it's direction. I'd rather plant myself in my self-pity and cry it out or text a friend to garner her support. I have this fairy tale life planned out in my head: finish college at 22, start my career, get married, have two kids by 26, and live happily ever after. I am sure God giggled a bit when I spoke this plan out loud. I read my words and laugh. While I do believe it is good to have a plan and direction, I was way too specific and far too iron-clad in my plans. When things veered off course a bit and I didn't have two kids by 26, I stomped my feet. What I didn't realize in that moment, and the moments to come, was that extraordinary things were happening in the supernatural for my life that I could not see in the natural. God was planning and scheming a tremendous story for my life but, you see, it did not match my carefully crafted road map. Because He was not hitting my markers, I was shaken. I caused more pain and grief for myself chasing after a life I thought was best, all the while He was creating His masterpiece for me but I couldn't see it.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..." Ephesians 3:20

Contentedness. I struggle here sometimes; a lot of times. I want things; not always material things but things for my life. When those things don't materialize when I think they should, I become discontent and in comes the waves of tears and feet stomping. I chase a life that He never intended for me thinking my timing and order is perfection not His. I forget He is able to go well beyond what my wee little mind can fathom and if I rest in His goodness, His promises, His truth, His never changing character than maybe I'd save myself some of the grief. I make things way too difficult. I look back on my journey and while I am appreciative of the road I've traveled, I can see the places where I curved off the path when I could have remained with Him.

Thankfully I serve a God of grace and mercy. He allows for my processing and hissy fit throwing. He knows His daughter will eventually return to Him. He knows I need to work things out purging the ugly to get to the beautiful. I love that about our God; absolutely LOVE that! I will continue to stomp my feet and shed my tears but in those moments I hope I run to Him and rest in His peace remembering that this life and world are not the end. I will believe that while things may not be going as I have planned or that friend got that job or vacation that I wished I could have He has a better story for me. I will rest in Him even in the midst of the hissy fit.

"God, the one and only—
I’ll wait as long as he says.
Everything I hope for comes from him,
so why not?
He’s solid rock under my feet,
breathing room for my soul,
An impregnable castle:
I’m set for life.
My help and glory are in God
granite, strength, and safe harbor God
So trust him absolutely, people;
lay your lives on the line for him.
God is a safe place to be." Psalm 62: 5-8

Love & Blessings,
Megan

Comments

Maria said…
Purge out the ugly to get the beautiful? I LOVE THAT!!! I know I spent most of my life as a young wife and mother thinking there had to be more out there than the way we were living....something better for us maybe, meanwhile, life was moving on and I was missing the real joy God gave me. You are an amazing wife, mother and friend. After all, we are sunshine and fish because of a purge! Love you more!!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.