Skip to main content

Peeps

I was porch sitting the other morning. Porch sitting. It's my new lingo for Scott. I tell him I am going to go do some porch sitting for a few minutes and he knows that means this mama needs some quiet time with God. I have a favorite spot on my porch where I read and pray and sometimes just sit. So, I was porch sitting the other morning in my jammies and an overwhelming sense of rest came over me. I was thinking about the friends (my peeps) in my life. I realized how extraordinarily blessed I was and am. I started mentally listing my friends and how they bless me in my head. I was astounded by how many people love me and how they care for me in an exceptional way. Each person plays a pivotal and distinct role in my life and I absolutely love their unique touch on my life. A few verses came to mind when I thought about my friends.

"People learn from each other just as iron sharpens iron." Proverbs 27:17
I can honestly say that I have many "iron sharpeners" in my life. Sometimes I don't want to hear what they have to say nor do I always act on their advice out of my own pride and inability to look at the reflection. However, I am so very thankful that I have friends that stay the course with me and have the courage to speak up and call me out on things.

"Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively. If one of them falls down, the other can help him up. But if someone is alone and falls, it's just too bad, because there is no one to help him." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
I cannot count how many times my friends have lifted me up in a storm. I have go-to girls that are there any time anywhere no matter what. I look back at a time when I had a friend hurting beyond all grief. It was an honor and privilege to watch our village surround her during her time of need. There is no greater joy in than to see a community join together to lift another.

"My commandment is this: love one another, just as I love you. The greatest love you can have for your friends is to give your life for them." John 15:12
This is a HUGE one for me. I know that the example of the kind of love the Bible is talking about is Jesus. He loved ultimately through sacrifice. What does that look like in the present day? For me, it's giving what you can not what is expected. I never expect anyone to do anything for me and sometimes struggle when people care for me and not the other way around. But can I just tell you, when you let those around you love the way they can and not how you expect you will be blown away. I know I have been blessed beyond measure through my friends' abundant and unmerited love for me.

"Some friends do not last, but some friends are more loyal than brothers." Proverbs 18:24
I remember sitting in the high school ministry office at my old church. I was in my early 20s and a volunteer leader trying to find my way. I was talking to a staff member, coincidentally also named Megan, about her departure. Her season of ministry at our church was coming to an end and I was struggling. She was an incredible mentor to me and I admired her and had a great respect for our friendship. She said something that I knew but never thought of and it has stuck with me all these years. She said, "You have friends for a season, a reason, and a lifetime." I have seen friends come and go throughout my life. Some are seasonal and some are for a reason. I also have lifetime friends. I have come to cherish each and every one whether season, reason, or life time because there is value in each and every one of these relationship.

Through all this thinking, pondering, and praying for my friends I realized they need to know how special they are to me and why. I need to thank them and uplift them. So, I am committing to writing each of them a letter to let them know how awesome they are. And when I get that lonely feeling I will remember my friends.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.