Skip to main content

Tomorrow

“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

“And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Matthew 6:25-34

I was lying in bed early one morning and heard Wyatt call to Jack. "Jackson, will you make me breakfast?" Jack had made the boys breakfast once before and Wyatt loves when his big brother does things for him. As I lay there, I got a little nostalgic. I loved that I could stay in my warm cozy bed for a few more minutes but I realized that slowly my boys need for me will fade. They will always need their mama to some capacity but I am so used to the meeting the constant needs of my boys that it is strange when they do things for themselves. Every morning I wake up early and make them breakfast. It's what I do. But now, big brother can do it and I am not as needed in this area.

Many of us have heard the verses above. This blog post isn't about worry at all. It's not about the usual renderings that people draw from these verses. This post is about living in today, which is exactly what these verses talk about to me. Once I realized Jack could take over my breakfast responsibilities and heard Wyatt sound WAY older on the phone when I called while I was away this weekend, I knew I needed to live more in today. Today is exactly what the Lord gives us. He gives us right now. What am I going to do with it?

Have you ever been at a place in your life where you really wanted something? You wanted that job, marriage, child, etc.? When we were trying to have Grady all I could think about was our future. I was so consumed in our future and what that would look like with or without another child that I lost focus of the day that was right in front of me. I was reaching so hard for what was yet to come that I missed what was right in front of me.

We reach. We dream. We get frustrated. We get mad. I think goal setting and preparing for your future is important. Having dreams, wants, and desires is beneficial and what drives us. Scott and I always talk about our future and dreams together. It's fun and we enjoy imagining what our lives will look like when the boys are gone and we are old and gray. What I have learned, however, is that there is all this in between space that I must live before God gives me that future. Ironically, or not so ironically, Jack was talking about the present in the car yesterday. He said, "We don't live in the future or the past. We live in the present." Funny how an eight year old can have so much wisdom and not even realize it. I think so many of us are living in our past or striving too hard for our future that we are missing the present.

My parents and all the grown-ups around me told me life goes by fast, in a flash. It wasn't until I had kids that I really understood this. Every New Year's Scott and I talk about how fast the year went by. Now that Jack comes up to my shoulder and Wyatt is no longer a baby I really get that life happens in the blink of an eye. I want to live in the present that God has given me. I want this moment; right here, right now. I want to breath today in truly experiencing God's glory and blessing in this moment. I will dream about my future and relish in the memories of my past, but I will live for today!

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.