Skip to main content

Grace

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

I was on the elliptical catching up on my Family Circle magazine and the news. I went to sit on the porch after my workout to read my chapter in Isaiah that I hadn't gotten to this morning. I sat staring at the sky praying. As I prayed I watched the sky turn the softest pale pink. Even though I was transfixed on the soft sky, my prayers were hard. I was praying for many things, but specifically for our world that has seemed to go into a negative tailspin as of late. As I sat, I kept hearing the word "grace" repeat over and over again in my head. I never opened my Bible. I just sat and thought about grace.

I thought about everything that is happening at home and abroad and how it relates to grace. I wondered why we are so afraid of giving and opposed to accepting grace. What keeps us from receiving grace? What keeps us from giving grace? Pride? Guilt? Anger? Skepticism? Misunderstanding? Past hurts or mistakes? Whatever it is, we have become a world that cannot freely give or receive grace. Or so it seems.

John 1:16 says, "And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." Grace upon grace. Think on that. Could you imagine if we gave grace upon grace to one another? What would that look like? Maybe we would see true peace if we were willing to focus on grace upon grace instead of wrong upon wrong; instead of telling each other how we should live our lives. And it doesn't just say we receive grace, no, we receive grace from His fullness. I cannot even fathom what His fullness looks and feels like in its truest sense, but I would love to receive grace upon grace from it.

God gives us grace out of His fullness. He does not withhold His grace from any of us because we sinned too much, made the worst mistake, cannot shake our addictions, because our skin color is wrong, or our house too small. No. He gives grace out of His fullness to EVERY SINGLE SOUL that comes to Him. Every single one. His grace has no boundaries; no prerequisites. Wow. I wish I could say that I have given grace to everyone who has crossed the threshold of my life; that I didn't have expectations that people had to meet before I gave grace.

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need" Hebrews 4:16 I wonder what our world would look like if we went to the throne of grace in our times of need instead of to violence or judgment or thoughtlessness. Would there be less pride? Would there be less conflict? I know there are monsters out there that have one goal and that is to terrorize others. Something in their mindset keeps them from truly understanding grace or knowing that there is a higher power to go to in times of need, but what about the rest of us? What if we picked up grace instead of pride? What if we picked up grace instead of judgment? What if we picked up grace instead of that stone we are about to throw? Maybe those monsters would soften a little. Maybe.

I know grace, in our human capacity and understanding, cannot solve the world's disorders and dysfunction. But I do know that His grace is able to exceed the ends of the earth and go beyond all comprehension. I want to tap into that. I want to give and receive that type of grace. When I feel wronged, I want to give grace. I want to accept grace in my weakness and times of need.

I think some people may think grace is weak or bowing down to someone or something that is wrong. The Word says quite the opposite when it comes to grace. 2 Timothy 2:1 says, "You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus." We are strengthened through the grace that comes from Jesus. We are stronger through grace. I believe this is because grace unifies us. How weak are we when we are fighting and have conflict with others that goes unresolved? How weak are we when we cast stones at another? We look like fools and impact a far greater radius with negativity than I think we realize. Think of the power and strength grace holds. If we come together giving and receiving grace we are unified working together for good. We could be unstoppable.

I believe grace can happen amongst disagreement. You do not have to agree in order to give grace. Let me say that again, you do NOT have to agree to give grace. Grace says, "I love and accept you even though we do not agree on this topic." Grace says, "I want to hear you, not just listen but hear you, on this topic in which we do not agree." Grace listens and loves in the conflict. Grace is soft; soft like the pink sky God painted for me tonight. I do not think He gave me that sunset on accident. He wanted me to know grace. He wanted me to see and feel and hear and taste and smell grace at that moment. And as I watched the soft pink fade away ever so slightly, I realized that what this world needs most of all is grace.

"The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you." 2 Timothy 4:22

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.