Skip to main content

Dear Jackson

Dear Jackson,

You are my precious first born; the one that first made me a mommy and forever changed my life. Little did I know when you were born what a grand effect you would have on me. We were driving down Preston Road when you were about four years old. You snuggled in the back seat between your two baby brothers asking loads of questions stumping me on most of them as you usually did. The question that stunned me was when you asked if you could pray to have Jesus in your heart. You were talking about Him and what salvation meant. You wanted Jesus. I quickly pulled over into the Whataburger parking lot, grabbed you out of your car seat, brought you up front with me, and we talked about Jesus. We talked about His life and what He did for us on that fateful day on the blessed beautiful cross. We talked about sacrifice and what that means and looks like in a four year old's mind and we talked about faith being personal. Then, we prayed together and you asked Jesus into your life. I will never forget that moment. I can still see it and smell it and sense it. I can hear your brothers cooing and talking in their little baby voices in the back seat. I can see your precious four year old face and hear the intrigue in your little voice. There aren't many memories that can compete with that. But, there is another day that will be forever etched in my memory.

Two weeks ago we put you to bed just like any other day. Dad and I fell into our bed exhausted from the day's activities. We were chatting and hanging out and heard your voice about thirty minutes later. You were calling me over the video monitor. I responded asking what you needed wondering what on earth it could be given you had been in bed for awhile. You then said in your sweet voice that you wanted to be baptized. I knew right then that your faith was real; it was yours. You see, ever since we prayed in that parking lot you have asked us to get baptized. You heard all the grown-ups talk about baptism and wanted in on the action. Dad and I kept holding you off waiting for you to truly understand what baptism meant. We didn't want you to get baptized because you thought that's what mom and dad wanted or that's what a pastor said you had to do. We wanted you to truly understand the sacrifice Jesus made for us and that baptism does not equal salvation. You continued to learn and discover your faith on your own and now it was time for you to show everyone what you believe.

I knew the moment you asked to be baptized over that monitor that it was time. You sat in bed for thirty minutes thinking about it. You owned it. This faith thing was yours; all yours. We stood in line waiting for your turn to be baptized. I asked you if you were nervous and how you felt. You were calm, cool, and collected. I stood there staring at my first born and seeing how much you really had grown. You were making decisions for your life, BIG decisions, on your own. As much as I want to keep you in my arms forever, the most precious thing is watching you learn to use your wings and fly. I watched you listen to Pastor Larry as he explained baptism to you. You looked confident and sure. You went under the water and came back up a new person. I will never forget that moment. Ever.

Jackson, I admire you. I look up to you. You inspire me. Your passion for life and empathy for others is astounding. Your mind is beyond your years yet you have such a humility about you. You are everything good and I witnessed it that day and everyday. You want goodness for your life and for the lives of others. You know and live the Word of God not because grown-ups tell you to, but because you want to. You have a wisdom in the Bible that I wish I had, especially at eight years old. You are an example to those that know you, especially your brothers. They are witness to a life well lived. To say Dad and I are proud of you is an absolute understatement. Thank you for being my son; for being exactly who you are. Thank you for changing me and challenging me daily to be a better person. Thank you for teaching me that even though you are growing up in a Christian home, you can have a mind of your own and find ownership in your faith. I love you more than you will ever comprehend.

All my love,
Mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.