Skip to main content

Perspective

In his book, Crash the Chatterbox, Steven Furtick talks about how we compare our everyday mundane lives to others' highlight reel. Social media has enhanced this quite a bit over the years. I have heard this quote repeatedly recently. As I sat on this quote realizing its truth, I began to wonder about perspective. How does one's perspective impact his or her life, whether positive or negative, and what does God have to say about the type of perspective we are supposed to carry?

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines perspective as, "the aspect in which a subject or its parts are mentally viewed; a view of things in their true relationship or relative importance." Hmmm...a view of things in their TRUE relationship or importance. I am not sure if my perspective on life and all that it entails is always true or relative to importance. For instance, I may blow something completely out of proportion because I am having an emotional or stressful day. My perspective of a little mess the boys made may be huge in my eyes if it's the billionth disaster I've had to tackle that day but, in the grand scheme of life, their little mess is just that, a little mess. Or, I may perceive someone to be unkind or gossipy or not someone I want to associate all because of what a friend told me about that person not because I really got to know the person. My perspective of that person is influenced by the words of another not the truth of who they are.

I think there are so many things in life where my perspective is flawed. I can look in the mirror and see a thousand negatives while my husband only sees his beautiful bride (I hope. Lol.). I can go on Instagram or Facebook and see a friend living a happy blessed life all the while, she is suffering and struggling to no end. My perspective is skewed. My view is clouded by the negativity of my mind. I can't always see the good, happy, or positive in my life because I am comparing it to others' highlights. I am walking around in a fogged perspective. My clarity comes through comparison and a list of personal faults instead of the eyes of the grace of my Father.

For me, perspective first and foremost comes from my God. In Ephesians 2:7-10, Paul says, "so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." I am saved by grace. There is nothing I can do to earn my salvation or favor from the Lord so I can just go ahead and stop comparing my everyday life to everyone's highlight reel. All that matters is that I am walking in His will allowing Him to mold and shape me along the journey.

Secondly, I cannot let my perspective be influenced by the blind. Ephesians 4:12b-15 says, "so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will not longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ." I can no longer get my perspective from anyone other than Christ. The media and magazines and social standards tell me to be, look, and live a way that is completely opposed to Christ. Heck, even people of the church can give us an ungodly perspective. I've been guilty of that. I have gossiped. I have complained about what was perceived by me to be a grand problem, when, in reality, it was a minute bump in the road. Perspective. It's all about perspective.

What I have learned is that my perspective can completely change the fate of my day. I can have a faulty perspective about something or someone and it can change me for the better or, unfortunately, the worse. I choose my perspective to be positive. I choose to compare my perspective on things with the Word. I choose to give grace when my perspective is different from another. God speaks to us differently. He created us that way. I must respect His design and that others may think and see things differently than I and that is alright. Next time I feel like my perspective is flawed, I am going to get on my knees and pray for clarity and truth; that I am not tossed like the waves but guided on His straight path.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.