Skip to main content

Break It Down

I received a Bible from my parents when I graduated high school. The verse inscribed on the front was Jeremiah 29:11. This verse has followed me throughout life these past 19 years. Every so often, Jeremiah would creep in with a little reminder that I have a hope and future and that life is not completely about suffering. I figured I needed to break this verse down if I really wanted it to be a part of who I am. So, here I go; a girl on a mission to discover what her life verse is really all about.

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Let me start by saying that I completely misrepresented this verse at first. When these words were first spoken over me, I took them to mean I would never face disastrous things because I was following God. I thought my future would be great and all sunshine and rainbows. I knew I would face challenges, however, I thought life would be all good since I was now on a journey of faith according to this verse and the way I manipulated it for my gain. I think I do this a lot. I read the Bible and misinterpret the meaning of the words. I find a verse I like and mold it to fit my life circumstance. I make it pretty and neat and shiny when maybe, it's purpose was to be messy and expose the ugly in me. I decided it was time to let the Word speak to me instead of me to the Word.

Let me break it down...

"For I know the plans I have for you (emphasis mine): These are His plans not mine. HE has the plan for me not I have the plan and He makes it work. I need to be open and willing to be shaped into His plan instead of forcing mine into a story where they do not fit. I would save myself a lot of grief and frustration if I followed this view. Imagine if I truly surrendered my life: "Take my life, I lay it down." Great things would occur in and through me if I whole-heartedly surrendered to His plans for me.

"Plans for good and not disaster": Ok. So, this was a toughy for me to accept and understand. While His plans are good, perfect really, the world in which I live is not. Just because His plans are good for me does not mean that disaster will not strike. I could be following His good plan and bad things still occur. This does not mean that His plans are not good or that He created the disaster in my life. This means, to me, that while His plans for me are good and beautiful, I live in a broken world full of sinners and things will go wrong.

"to give you a future and a hope": I think I took this part of the verse as finding hope in this life. What I didn't realize at first was that HE is my future and HE is my hope. When everything has gone crazy and nothing makes sense and all hope is lost, I can still hope in Him and my future in Heaven. There is never a time to lose hope or be scared of the future because eternity is in His hands and I can rest easy in that.

So, there you go. A quick break down of the verse that has traveled many years alongside me. I needed a little more enlightenment and understanding of these great words. I needed them to be from Him and not what I implied. Ironically enough, this verse brings me more comfort today now that I understand it from an unselfish non self-serving place. I am excited to watch His plans unfold in my life as I rest in His hope and His future for my life.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.