Skip to main content

He's Not Me

It's no surprise that I am the more vocal (let's be honest, loud) one of my marriage. I knew exactly who Scott was when I decided to marry him but that has not stopped me from trying to mold him into what he is not: me. Over the years I have recklessly tried and failed to make Scott's faith look like mine. I have struggled to morph him into myself socially. And I hit wall after wall trying to get him to be on the go all the time. He doesn't thrive on conflict, nor does he pick fights with me. Oftentimes, he goes along for the ride even if he is completely uncomfortable or annoyed. We end up having talk after talk hashing out the common theme over and over: Scott is not me.

It's taken me years to realize what I was doing. I don't think I was pushing Scott to behave more like me consciously. Instead, I would subconsciously expect him to react a certain way, demonstrate certain behaviors, and be excited to go hang out with 100 people he didn't know. I knew he was different than me, vastly different, yet, my expectations of him mirrored expectations I had for myself. I figured if I enjoyed something, he would. I assumed when we started teaching our boys about our faith it would mirror mine. I desired him to know things he couldn't possibly know unless he was some Jedi mind reader. I was compartmentalizing a man God had created specifically for me to be someone he wasn't and I was losing big time. I was often disappointed and not because of Scott. I was disappointed because my expectations didn't match the person.

"Restless in bed and sleepless through the night, I longed for my lover. I wanted him desperately. His absence was painful. So I got up, went out and roved the city, hunting through streets and down alleys. I wanted my lover in the worst way! I looked high and low, and didn’t find him. And then the night watchmen found me as they patrolled the darkened city. “Have you seen my dear lost love?” I asked. No sooner had I left them than I found him, found my dear lost love. I threw my arms around him and held him tight, wouldn’t let him go until I had him home again, safe at home beside the fire." Song of Solomon 3:4

Oh, how I love Song of Solomon! I read this verse and feel the pining for each other. I am taking this a little out of context, but this verse spoke to me differently when I thought about how I pine after my husband. You may have heard this verse or read it on a Pinterest board saying, "I have found the one whom my soul loved." I have to ask myself...who am I searching for? Am I searching for the husband God created for me or am I searching for the one I created in my mind? Because if it's the latter, I am going to live a life constantly searching and never fulfilled. If I look for the man God created to love me and teach me how to love, than I will find the man standing before me beautifully imperfect perfectly for me.

Scott wasn't created to complete me. He wasn't created to fill my love tank completely. And, he most definitely wasn't created to be me. So, what was he created for? He was created to teach me how to love as Christ loves. He was created to show me, teach me, and challenge me to be more like Christ. If I am looking for him to complete me, I will never be filled. Only God can do that. If I am looking for him to fill me with love, I will be disappointed. Only God can fill my love tank. And we all know he will never be me and that makes me, and all of us, happy.

I think we look to our partners for too much expecting them to fulfill us in a way that only God can. We set the bar high expecting them to behave, react, and love the way we would not how God intended. We fight our marriages instead of allowing them to play out the way God intended: a journey closer to God individually so that you may grow closer to one another the closer you get to Him.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

When Scott and I got back together after a break-up, James 1:17 played repeatedly in my mind. I truly believed God gave me a good and perfect gift in Scott. It's about time I start treating him that way.

Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.