Skip to main content

The Real Deal

Things are about to get real here on this blog. I text the following words to a friend:

"The boys are insane. Seriously. I took them to the dollar tree to get stuff for our Operation Christmas Child boxes and literally want to pound my head against the wall. I wish taking them to do stuff like that (service project stuff) was all sunshine and rainbows and everyone was happily skipping down the aisles truly understanding what it means to give and have a servants heart. But noooooooo...no. We play with plungers and ask for every ding dang toy and then act like wild banshees who have never been let out of their cages. For the love of Peter, Paul, and Mary."

Y'all, parenting is no joke. I like to post the cutesy pictures of my boys sweetly snuggling by my side but real life doesn't always play out that beautifully. Don't get me wrong, we did have some fun picking stuff out to give and I did laugh when they were playing with the plungers. However, when I got home I was a little disappointed. I wanted my boys to WANT to give and serve not just do it because Mommy told them to.

As we were packing our boxes, Wyatt huffed and puffed stomping away from his box proclaiming, "It's not fair!" When I asked him what wasn't fair he told me that it wasn't fair that these kids get a box full of stuff and he gets nothing. Insert face into palm and flooding thoughts about how I must be completely failing at this whole parenting thing. A lightbulb suddenly went on in the empty space in my brain and I realized that my five year old has absolutely no point of reference. He has no concept of the fact that it is not normal for people to live in big giant houses and have everything at their disposal. I was going about this all wrong. I was asking a five, six, and nine year old to understand something that is so very foreign to them.

I realized that these boys needed to understand where and how these children lived. They needed to see that life and happiness isn't measured by all stuff we have. With Wyatt in my lap and Jack and Grady by my side, we looked at pictures of how these people lived. You know what my boys noticed most? It wasn't the tin houses or piles of garbage that surrounded make-shift homes. They noticed that the people and children in the photos were smiling. They saw the deplorable conditions these people lived in, yet they still had smiles on their faces. They (kind of) got it.

You know, all to often I expect my kids to understand and do very grown-up things. I cannot wrap my head around so many things including that fact that children live in such horrific conditions. It absolutely breaks me in two. If I cannot fathom life outside of my own comforts, how can I expect my children to?

I had a verse hanging on our wall that I saw everyday. The sign hung at the top of the stairs on the way to all the boys rooms and play areas. The verse is found in Proverbs 22:5 and says, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." I read that verse daily. I guess sometimes I want my kids to just know stuff and skip the training part but that's not real life. So, I will continue to train my kids and hopefully lead by example even if some days end in me banging my head against the wall.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.