Skip to main content

Baggage

I am going to talk to all the ladies about some baggage I've been carrying around. Guys deal with this stuff, too, it's just a little different. When I was younger there were three of us girls that were thick as thieves. As one can imagine, however, threes a crowd and one of us was left out from time to time. That someone was usually me. I was younger and tended to be a little bossy and annoying. As an adult, I can see why I was left out. However, it still hurt and I carry that insecurity to this day.

Have you ever wondered why people will drop everything, or so it seems, for certain friends but you get left in the dust? You show up to as much as you possibly can supporting your posse of gals yet when it comes to something for you all you hear are crickets? Just me? Well, every once in awhile I find myself in a funk and wonder what they've got that I am lacking? I assume something must be wrong with me otherwise I would receive the same caring, kind, loving, VIP treatment that she is getting. It's a dark place to go and definitely not what we were created for. Relationships weren't meant to be competitions. Yet, oftentimes that is exactly what we make them out to be. It's her against me. Or, she must have something I don't. Or, the worst one of them all, something must be wrong with me.

I try not to let myself stay in that place of baggage for too long. I remind myself that my life isn't measured by how many people are on my guest list. When I lay may head down at night, I am not fulfilled by the attention from others. My cup is filled by the one who sustains me: Jesus. He is the only RSVP I need.

Maneuvering through friendships is hard. We have all this junk from our past that taints our future relationships. We mix different personalities and lots of baggage together and all wind up a mess feeling alone not realizing that we are all struggling.

I am a relational girl. I love connecting with others, loving on them and doing life together. I realize that people will fail me. A lot. It's not necessarily their intention, it's just life. I cannot seek my satisfaction or life's worth in relationships. I will be disappointed every time if I do. My wholeness comes from an eternal God who has a future and a hope for me (Jeremiah 29:11). He has a plan that started before He knit me together in my mother's womb (Psalm 139:13). He is unchanging, the beginning and the end, and the Alpha and Omega (Revelation 22:13). His love never fails (Psalm 146:4). He will never forsake me (Hebrews 13:5).

So, the next time my relationships get murky and I start to feel like the odd ball, I will remember Who fulfills me. I will remember that only He can sustain me and will not fail me. I will still love and I will still try working towards healthy relationships in which we both encourage, build up, and give to one another. But, my feet will land on my Solid Rock.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.