Skip to main content

Character Flaws

Have you ever had an argument with a friend or loved one and you looked like the bad guy? You knew you had to walk away from the relationship and everyone thought something was wrong with you for doing so? Have you ever had your character called into question because of a disagreement or misunderstanding? When we experience conflict with another human being, those around us tend to take sides. We say we don't and that we are neutral, but, if we are being honest, we have side conversations that convict one side of the argument.

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

I am a huge proponent of justice. I have a difficult time when someone does not get the justice they deserve. I struggle when an innocent person is victimized and doesn't experience some sort of justice for what they have been through. I can recall two times in my life where my character was slung through the mud. I was accused of things that simply were not true thus creating a false opinion about me in those in my life. I wanted to scream from a mountaintop, "This is not who I am? You are completely mistaken. I did not react that way and say those things because I am a selfish uncaring individual." And scream I did. I ran my mouth way too much thinking I was protecting my character, when, in actuality, I was only harming myself.

Character is not something that can be told. Character is lived through our daily actions. While Micah 6:8 talks about justice, it also discusses mercy and humility. In no way was I being humble when I was shouting my innocence through my megaphone. Instead, pride got a hold of me and tore me apart. As I touted my innocence, I reeked havoc on the other parties involved. In order to save myself from public scrutiny, I denounced the other person in a negative fashion. That does not bode well for ones character.

I have learned that if I humble myself and let go of the pride of proving my innocence and live my life with mercy and grace, my character will shine brighter than any spot light and be louder than any megaphone. Running my mouth does not bring me justice, even if I am wronged. I am pretty sure we all have good intentions when we choose to defend ourselves. We don't want to hurt the other person. We just want some justice for ourselves. But, what typically ends up happening is that we end up hurting ourselves and tainting our character.

"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

The only proving I need to do is to my Savior. He is my sounding board and measuring stick. People are going to have unkind opinions of me. Not everyone is going to like me and that's okay. Not every disagreement is going to be resolved. The only person I need to measure up to is God and He is full of grace. I now keep quiet when I have conflict. I have one friend who is my sounding board where I can come and be ugly and get it all out in a safe place. I no longer shout like a fool about my innocence. Instead, I journey through this excursion of faith trying my best to truly live out what I believe. If I am in line with Him, than my character will shine. I won't need any megaphone or mountaintop.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.