Skip to main content

Good & Great

It's easy to believe God is great. He is the God of the universe who placed every star in the sky. He created the sun, moon, water, land, animals, and us humans. The words, "God has done great and mighty things," rolls off our tongues with ease. We see or hear about a miracle and proclaim His greatness. We witness a stunning sunset and declare His greatness in the masterpiece of the skies. God's greatness is not easily disputed and readily accepted. But what about His goodness?

This one hit home for me. I can easily state that God is great. But good? Hmmmm. That's a little more complicated. God's goodness is a little more difficult to believe. We struggle to say He is good when our news feeds are inundated with horrific tragedies. Heck, we can take a quick look at our own lives and not be able to find His goodness.

I have come to learn that God's goodness and greatness go hand-in-hand. You cannot have one without the other. If He is great, He is also good. Now we just have to believe it. Denying God's goodness or grappling with His goodness in our lives stifles our faith. The moment we believe God is good is the moment our faith breaks free and increases exponentially.

This especially holds true in the dark spaces that are deeply rooted in pain. If we can see His goodness in that place, we can move mountains with our faith. The moment we believe His goodness is for ourselves, our lives are forever changed.

I will be honest with you, it is far easier for me to say or to see that God is good to others than to identify His goodness in my life. My biggest struggle is feeling worthy of His goodness. I feel like His sacrifice on the cross was FAR greater than I ever deserved so it's more plausible to me that He would withhold His goodness from me. I know this is crazy and that I can do nothing to earn His favor, but it's my way of justifying why I don't deserve His goodness. Denying God's goodness in my life is the same as denying God for He is good. Denying that goodness denies God's true character.

As much as we despise the trials and hard places, it is far easier to maneuver those grounds than find the good in the bad. It's easier to stay stuck in the woe-is-me-mentally than pulling through and having faith that even though life is drowning you right now, God is still good.

Once I realized that His goodness did not waver in the circumstances, I felt a freedom in my faith that I hadn't experienced before. I saw God for exactly who He is: good.

As I look to the big Texas sky at night gazing at the stars I will experience His awe-inspiring greatness, all the while, allowing my soul to rest in His goodness. God is so very good. He's like honey to our souls. Grab onto that goodness even if only a tiny bit and watch your faith explode.

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” Lamentations 3:22-24

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.