Skip to main content

Yes Man

Jim Carey made a movie in 2008 entitled Yes Man. It was a funny movie about a guy who decided to say yes to everything for a year. At first, the yeses brought him great things: a new love interest and a job promotion. Eventually, however, saying yes to everything ended in his demise. He ended up losing way more than he gained by saying yes.

While this movie helps us learnt that saying yes to everything isn't always a good thing, I see it from a different perspective. I don't always want a "yes man" in my life. I want people that are going to be honest with me not always agreeable.

A few months ago, I went to a trusted friend to talk about a dream I had. I wanted her honest opinion concerning whether or not she thought this dream could come to fruition. I trusted that she would tell me the truth as to whether I was crazy or onto something. I could have gone to a few other people to talk this dream through. They would have told me that I should go for it and would be perfect for the job. I have my yes people who I know will say what I want to hear even if it isn't the whole truth. I chose the friend I did because I knew she would shoot it to me straight.

I love my yes people. I purposefully go to them when I want something solidified in my life; when I want my right to be right. I also love my people who tell me the hard things even when I don't want to hear them because I know that's where growth happens. I know these people are honest with me because they love me and truly have my best interest at heart. I appreciate that.

I don't always want a yes man in my life. I also don't always want to hear the no or that's not right but I need to hear it. Otherwise, I get stuck in my sin or on a path I am not supposed to be on anymore. If I am constantly in search of those that will justify my actions and my actions are wrong, then I will never grow or change. I don't want that for my life.

So, if I come to you and ask for your honest opinion about something in my life, I am giving you permission to not be my yes man:)

Love & Blessings,
Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.