Skip to main content

You're Right

My new favorite saying is, "you're right." I probably shouldn't tell my husband about this post. Kidding aside, I have found such freedom in conceding when someone is right.

We live in a world where our rightness is our platform. If we concede that someone else is right, we may fall from that high place. Sometimes, y'all, other people are right. They aren't right to be mean. They are right because they are right.

I used to be the type of arguer that had to have the last word. My dad and I would get into epic battles because I had to prove to him that I was right. Forget what he had to say. I still fall back into this pattern occasionally. But, I am learning the freedom of allowing other people to be right.

I love having a conversation with someone where I am coming from a place voicing what I think is right and I see a different perspective that I didn't see before. Scott does this a lot when we talk. I will bring up a spiritual conversation, talk about the kids, something I am going through, politics, or whatever and he will take the other side more often than not. He is not trying to battle with me. He is helping me see the entire picture; or at least see things from a different vantage point. And you know what? Oftentimes, his point is right. It doesn't necessarily make my points, feelings, or thoughts invalid. It shifts my perspective.

I am also enjoying the freedom I feel when someone confronts something ugly in me and I can say, "You know what? You are right." I find this freeing because in that moment when I acknowledge what they are saying is true, I am owning my junk. I can't go anywhere but to deal with it after I acknowledge they are right. Once I own and deal with my junk, it's gone. No longer am I carrying this heavy baggage. I am free because I dealt with admitting someone else's right when they found fault in me. That's a good thing.

One place that I am still learning to cope with is when I approach someone about something and they tell me I am right. As much as I want to prove my point and have it be accepted, this takes my breath away sometimes. I think, "Oh, okay. You agree with me. Now what do I do with that? I thought it was going to be a battle to get here and it wasn't. Now I am lost and I don't know how to process this." It may seem strange that it's difficult for me to accept when someone agrees with my rightness, but it is. It's almost like I was bracing for conflict and when it didn't happen, I don't know what to do. I am a work in progress.

Accepting that others are right takes a bit of humility. I think many times we look at humility as a weak link. I don't mind being humble and hope I live as such. Accepting people's rightness is just another way to keep me humble. Bring on the humility:)

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.