Skip to main content

A Matter of Grace

"Grace. What have you done? Murdered for me on that cross." Hillsong United

Merriam-Webster lists eight definitions for grace. One of those definitions looks as follows:

1.
a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b : a virtue coming from God
c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

Of course I had to keep digging. I looked up regeneration and here is what I found:

1: an act or the process of regenerating : the state of being regenerated
2: spiritual renewal or revival

I then had to look up sanctification...

the state of growing in divine grace as a result of Christian commitment after baptism or conversion
the Christian belief that the suffering and death of Jesus was responsible for the sanctification of all humankind

Grace. What is grace? What does it look like? Are we capable of giving grace? In the Christian world, grace is believed to be a free gift given to us by our Savior. We believe we are saved by grace through the death of Jesus on the cross.

The cross. Grace, while free to us, had a cost: the cost of the cross. There is nothing we can ever do to earn grace. Nothing. God's love is constantly flowing to us. His grace, unending. So, while I understand that the Giver of grace is eternal and never-ending, I wonder if we may misinterpret the matter of grace.

Grace cost Jesus his life; his precious, beautiful, blameless life. Without the death and resurrection, we would be separated from God. Because Jesus gave it all on the cross, we are saved by grace guaranteed eternity with our Savior.

While grace is very much about the One who gives the grace, it's just as much about the recipient. Grace flows continuously and freely to us but we have to be willing to accept. God is constantly pursuing us. He wants to lavish us with his grace. However, he cannot bestow his grace upon our lives if there is a boulder blocking the road. Something has to change in us, be acknowledged in us, be moved, shaken, felt in our core in order for us to accept grace. We have to admit that we need grace. In order to admit that we need grace, we have to acknowledge the sin within; that there is something inside of us desperate for a Savior and longing for change. Grace, in all its freedom, should illicit a response.

'Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." Matthew 16:24

I asked my husband about grace the other day. My thoughts were rambling inside my head and I needed to hear another perspective. So often we read Matthew 16:24 and we believe Jesus is talking about how we will face trials and persecution (our cross) while we live out our faith here on Earth. While that is true, what if we look at this verse a little deeper and from another angle. What if Jesus is talking about grace? What if he's telling us that when we accept his grace we begin this journey of pruning the stuff that drags us down and pushes us away from him? What if that is part of his grace?

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." John 15:1-2

Jesus uses the analogy of pruning the vine to our lives. Notice he doesn't say that he rejoices or give us a high-five when our lives (our vines) bear fruit. Instead, he says he prunes those branches so they can grow to be even more fruitful. He also cuts out the stuff that is not growing. Can this be an act of grace? I think so.

Let me be very clear: grace is a free gift. We can do nothing to earn it. Instead, grace creates a desire for change within our souls. We realize we are lost, empty, and full of sin without him. That's where his grace swoops in and rescues us from ourselves. We cannot do anything to earn grace nor do we deserve one ounce of the grace he shows us. However, I think Jesus shows us grace by not leaving us the same. He prunes to make things blossom more fully. He cuts out the junk all while allowing his love to flow continuously and freely to us. So undeserved yet so free.

When I accept his grace I accept the change he needs to make within me. I accept that he is persistently chasing after me and that his love and grace never stop flowing my way. I just need to move the boulder from the path.

I want to leave you with some lyrics from Elevation Worship. The song is entitled, "Resurrecting."


The head that once was crowned with thorns
Is crowned with glory now
The Savior knelt to wash our feet
Now at his feet we bow

The one who wore our sin and shame
Now robed in majesty
The radiance of perfect love
Now shines for all to see

Your name
Your name
Is victory
All praise
Will rise
To Christ our king

The fear that held us now gives way
To him who is our peace
His final breath upon the cross
Is now alive in me

By your spirit I will rise
From the ashes of defeat
The resurrected king
Is resurrecting me
In your name I come alive
To declare your victory
The resurrected king
Is resurrecting me

The tomb where soldiers watched in vain
Was borrowed for three days
His body there would not remain
Our God has robbed the grave
Our God has robbed the grave

The resurrected king
Is resurrecting me

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.