Skip to main content

Flawed

I like order. I can relax when all the throw pillows are in order and coiffed on the couch. I like when all the toys are organized in all their little bins in the playroom. And, oh-how-I-love clean floors. I like when my house has no flaws. But, let's be real. I live with boys. I can't count the number of times I have gone to sit on the toilet and sat in pee. There are light sabers thrown about and you have to dodge Legos when you head upstairs. Two of my kids are drop-and-go kids so I'll find shoes in the middle of the stairs, back packs dropped where ever they stop, and socks and underwear stuffed in some of the most bizarre places. I have learned that these flaws don't make my house any less beautiful. Yes, I probably won't be asked to do a photo spread in Better Home and Gardens. But that doesn't mean the beauty has eroded. If anything, the toys and socks and Legos bring life to the space which, in turn, makes it beautiful.

I am nearing the bend to forty and while I am excited about this (truly I am), I still see the things that come with aging. The laugh lines don't go away when I stop smiling. I have to exercise a little harder and eat a little better. I don't heal as quickly from injury. It's easy to see my flaws. It's actually easier for me to see what's wrong with me more than what's right. The flaws speak louder than the beautiful things.

Just because I am flawed does not make me any less beautiful. I think as women, as humans, we think our flaws disqualify us. We lose are validity and purpose because of our flaws. When a friend points out a flaw in us whether it be something we are doing to hurt them, others, or ourselves, we tend to immediately jump to the conclusion that we are too broken and such a mess that we no longer have purpose. Can I tell you right now that that is a bold faced lie?!

We are beautiful in spite of our flaws. We are beautiful BECAUSE of our flaws. Our imperfections are what makes us beautiful. They make us relatable to others giving us value and purpose. If we weren't flawed or a broken mess, Jesus sacrifice would have been pointless. We need to start realizing that we need our flaws; that our imperfections give our lives the purpose God intended. They write our story and are what makes us so great and unique.

Too often we want to run and hide from our flaws. We buy Spanks and the latest wrinkle cream to keep that wretched thing called aging at bay. We hide and run from our wrong-doings because facing them is scary and we think if we own our mess the world will hate us.

Be bold in your flaws. That the mess work itself out in you. Let it grow you, guide you, and mature you. See your flaws as your beauty just as Christ's scars are beautiful to us. Those wrinkles mean you've been blessed to live long enough to have them. That problem you can't overcome and have victory over is to be used by God to help a friend in a few months. Hold on. Be patient. That mess you made in that relationship? That's to grow you so you will be able to have sweet, deep, meaningful fellowship with the people in your life.

Don't run from your flaws. Don't try to hide them. They will always find you. The make-up will wear off. The mask will get too heavy to wear. See your flaws as God sees them: a story of redemption that brings the focus back to a Savior.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.