Skip to main content

Exhausted

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:19

What do I do? Too much. And what is the result? Exhaustion.

I went to kids camp with our church a week ago. I had the best time hanging with these kids watching them gain their independence away from mom and dad and grow in their faith. There is nothing like the sight of children raising their hands praising the Lord in worship. I also got to spend time with some incredible people. Time I wouldn't have gotten in our everyday lives. I enjoyed every second.

We woke up early and excited each day eagerly anticipating the day before us. We jumped from meals, to chapel, to activities, to more meals, and chapel again. We spent most of our days outside in the steaming Oklahoma sun. Once the kids were in bed, the grown-ups met up to play a mean game of Spoons. And by "mean game" I mean, you haven't seen competition until you play Spoons with a bunch of church leaders. I'll leave it at that.

Up early. To bed too late. Rinse and repeat. For six days.

On the drive home I became very ill. I had an uneasy feeling the moment I walked on the bus. I had a headache, was tired, and a little queasy. I had a feeling this ride wasn't going to be smooth. I didn't think, however, that I would get as sick as I did.

My illness didn't end in the bus. I came home that evening and crashed. I woke up the next day and had to tap out. My body couldn't do any more things. Monday and Tuesday rolled around and I felt a little better but not totally back to normal. Wednesday was a good day and then Thursday hit. Me-oh-my. Thursday about did me in. By Friday, I had had it. I don't get sick very often. And when I do, give me 24 hours and I am usually better. This sick for a week thing was doing me in in a bad way. I needed to get well and knew I needed to go to the doctor but didn't want to. I get myself worked into a frenzy sometimes and worried that I may have gotten a brain eating amoeba from the lake we swam in. What can I say? Exhaustion makes my mind go mad.

My mind. It races to far off lands sometimes. I can make up the most bizarre scenarios in my head and they are totally believable to me. Others think I am nuts, but in my mind it all makes sense.

Here's the deal, I don't listen to exhaustion. Maybe I feel above the tired and like I can accomplish just one more thing or participate in one more activity when, I should have let go and rested instead.

The last morning at camp I got up and ready earlier than normal. I decided to sit on the back patio that overlooked the lake. The sun was showing off in a beautiful display rising over the lake. I was listening to my favorite worship music reading Proverbs and praying. I broke in that moment. Before I even felt an inkling of being sick, I knew I messed up. I knew I should've taken advantage of time and not overdone it at camp. I should have gone to bed earlier so I could have awakened and seen the beautiful masterpiece painted by the Master as sun rose over the lake. I should have let myself miss an activity with the kids to go lay down and give my body the rest and reprieve that it needed. Instead, I chose to go, go, go and I paid the price. I had a choice to make: slow down and be still or continue on the path of busyness. Both were good. Letting our bodies have rest is imperative to good physical and mental health. Spending time with the kids at camp making connections and showing love is also good. But I couldn't have both. I had to choose and I chose too much.

I ended up in the ER on Friday hooked to an IV to get meds and fluids. They ran tests and thankfully I did not have an amoeba. I was suffering from exhaustion. Too much heat. Too much on-the-go.

I suffered this week because I didn't listen. I didn't listen to my body and I didn't listen to that still small voice inside that told me I needed to slow down that week. I ignored all the signs and paid the piper.

Because I was so sick and exhausted this past week, I had to overcome feeling defeated. I prayed, searched Scripture, and asked for prayer from others. One verse that resonated all week is found in Zephaniah 3:19. I needed to be reminded that He is with me even when I don't make the best choices. He saves me: from myself sometimes. He delights in me. Ah. This part of the verse I had to speak over myself continuously. Sometimes when you are hurting, frustrated, scared, and don't feel good, you need to remind yourself that He delights in you. He quiets me with his love. This is another part of the verse I had on repeat in my mind. When I don't feel good. When things feel out of my control, I need him to quiet my weary spirit because I can get myself in quite a tizzy. I love the last part of the verse: he rejoices over me. Me? God rejoices over me? Absolutely he does. I gain so much confidence in myself and so much peace knowing that the God of the universe rejoices over me.

Our pastor spoke on Jonah this morning. He said something that spoke to my spirit: Sometimes God may send the storm to grab your attention. God absolutely allowed me time to be sick this past week. He knew I needed a body reset. He knew I needed to refocus my attention on him instead of the busy. He knew I needed to be inundated with His Word. He knew I needed to get back to fully relying on him instead of myself. He knew so he allowed.

I am learning the value of rest. It may take me awhile, but I am learning. I am also learning to trust more. Too often, I close my fist thinking I know better or if I give up control it may hurt too much. God is too good for that nonsense and I am learning to believe that.

He is with me
He is mighty to save
He delights in me
He quiets me with his love
He rejoices over me

...and you!

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.