Skip to main content

Dance Like No One is Watching

It's hard to laugh when things are dark. I remember when a good friend of mine lost a family member in a tragic accident and I felt like I shouldn't be doing even the simplest of tasks. I knew life had to move forward but it was hard for me to laugh and do all these normal things while watching someone I cared about suffering and grieving her loss.

I felt like that again recently. How do I enjoy life laughing and doing silly menial tasks while so many are struggling? So, I did what any sane person does in times like these. I went on Pinterest and searched funny memes. I needed a good laugh. I saved a bunch of these humorous quotes and pictures and sent them to a friend. She probably thought I was crazy when she picked up her phone only to see that I had sent her about thirty texts. I couldn't stop. I went down a rabbit hole of laughter and needed someone to share it with.

We need this. I think one way we can celebrate when darkness surrounds us is by living large. We stand back and realize life is fleeting so we better love hard and well laughing as much as possible in the time we are given. Yesterday I decided I would throw everything aside and swim with the boys. I even got my hair wet. I put on some goggles and we swam, chased, and jumped into the pool. I would go under water and take in the sights. I saw my boys kicking and wiggling and smiling under the deep blue. I watched as their little boy bodies maneuvered through the water knowing those legs would be HUGE sooner rather than later. I watched the red hair of my middle move like soft gentle waves as he swam. I've always loved his copper hair. I noticed their sun-kissed noses and deep belly laughs. We had so much fun. We were free and full of joy. Just what we needed.

I needed a little something to celebrate recently. I have never been a huge fan of the Olympics. Don't hate me. It just wasn't my jam. But this year is different. I needed the Olympics this year. We all did, I believe. There's something about the unity that needs to be celebrated. In a world with so much division and such a lack of joy, it's nice to have something that refreshes us and leads us back to smiling and celebrating with one another regardless of where we come from.

"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. I realized that there truly can be joy amidst sorrow." Romans 5:3-5

I realized that we truly can have joy amidst the sorrow. We can celebrate and laugh and play even while mourning. We can live our life fully and freely even when there's fear and doubt. We can because of Jesus. No matter what happens in and around us, there is always hope; hope in Him. There is always a reason to celebrate this life we are given.

I am learning to breath in the everyday: those moments that seem so menial. I am stopping to see the blessings before me. Those moments where I get to fold laundry, swim in the pool on a hot Texas day even though it feels like a bathtub, train my boys to encourage each other instead of tearing one another down, love my husband by doing something for him without expecting something in return bring me joy even though they seem so useless. I have found joy in seeing little feet that can't yet touch the ground and little fingers intertwined in mine. These are the moments and the days that go so quickly but seem to stand still. There is joy here.

And when I turn on the news or read my Facebook feed and I see the death and destruction that surrounds us, I will remember there is still joy and goodness in this world. I can rest because of Him and the price He paid for all of us so that we may experience joy even in the sorrow.

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness" Psalm 30:11

Now get out there and dance like no one is watching!

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.