Skip to main content

Enough

I will be good enough when...

~I start my career
~I get married
~I have kids
~I get that particular house
~I can afford those clothes
~I lose ten pounds
~My hair is longer
~I get that job
~My house is decorated like my Pinterest board
~I get right with God
~I am more educated in my faith
~I help out more at my kids' school
~I am a better wife
~I spend more time with my kids

This list (plus countless more) have all entered my mind at some point or another.

I was on the spin bike today pushing myself past my limits. My body was tired. I worked out the past few mornings on my own and then worked out again with my boys in the evening. My eldest likes to go on walks with me where we challenge each other to sprints, push-ups, step-ups, squats, and lunges. I oblige because he's a big fifth grader now and that time with him is so very precious. His brothers now want in on the action, so I am probably doing a little too much. Between working out more often than usual and the regular push and pull of back-to-school, I was worn out. But, I pushed myself anyway.

While I sprinted on the bike, I silently asked myself, "What am I doing this for?" Am I killing myself to be a certain size or is this really about me being as healthy as I possibly can? Most of the time, I workout to be healthy. I don't get on the scale or take measurements. I know when my body needs a change; when my pants get a little snug or my clothes don't fit right anymore. It does feel good, however, to look good but I've come to accept that I will never be a size two.

I wonder what we all chase after. What will it take to be enough?

I was listening to a podcast and the ladies were discussing our cultural infatuation with beauty. They talked about how there's this new campaign out opening the discussion to accepting the normal looking woman as beautiful not the size zero model: that what we see as flaws can actually be considered beautiful. The summary of the conversation came down to recognizing that we haven't come far in the standard of beauty. Instead of accepting people, women in particular, just the way they are, we exchange beauty for beauty. So, instead of claiming a young, thin, flawless woman is what we should strive for, we should accept our freckles, larger thighs, or curly hair. We haven't really made any progress. We just exchanged one beauty phenomenon for another.

When is being enough going to be okay? When can we stop valuing ourselves based on outward appearances or accomplishments and just say we are enough just the way we are: no size comparison or outlandish claim that our value comes from the width of our legs.

You are enough.
I am enough.
Just the way you are.

It is time to stop validating and start stating, "I am enough" with power. I am liberated when I say "I am enough" without a qualifier.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well"
Psalm 139:14

I am enough because the God of the universe created me exactly as I am. I am enough because a Savior died for me when I did not deserve it.

I am enough.
Period.

We don't need reasons for our beauty or validity for our existence. We are enough just the way we are. We are WONDERFULLY made. You. Me. Wonderful. Period.

God never told us we had to look, be, obtain a certain thing before being deemed beautiful. We were made perfect in His image. The moment we took our first breath, we were regarded beautiful.

Put down the reasons. Set down the burden of, "I will be enough when..." and rest in knowing you are enough. Period.

"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God." 2 Corinthians 3:5

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.