Skip to main content

Journey

If you've watched any coverage of the Olympics, you have heard the name Aly Raisman. You may have also seen and heard of her parents. They are the incredibly nervous duo who hold their breath and move their bodies to Aly's routines. It's precious. It's hilarious. And it solidifies all of our parental craziness.

As I watched Aly's parents, I wondered about their journey. They started on this road just as you or I: taking their precious, chunky, little toddler to gymnastics classes. Little did they know then that they were raising an Olympic athlete. They put one-foot-in-front-of-the-other one-class-at-time taking their sweet little girl to a fun little activity.

They committed to the journey of providing opportunities for their daughter. We all have high hopes and dreams for our children, but rarely do we realize we are raising a future Olympian. We just put one-foot-in-front-of-the-other and keep chugging along.

Isn't that like life? We don't know what the future holds. We have hopes and dreams for ourselves never really knowing for sure how or if we will get there. Too often, we stop after a couple of steps. We lose hope. We lose sight of the dream. The finish line seems to far away or we see someone else cross it before us.

We allow discouragement to run our race instead of faith. Aly's parents didn't know where they would end up when they signed her up for that first gymnastics class. What could you accomplish, what dream could come alive for you, if only you continue to put one foot in front of the other. Don't quit the journey too soon. You may just win a gold medal one day.

"Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 (NLT)

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grady's Story

Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil...

Joys and Sorrows

Ok,so I don't really know what to say. All I know is that writing is therapeutic for me and I think I need a little therapy right now. Where to begin? I guess with my doctor appointment. I went in for my routine 12 week check-up only to find out some grim news...the baby had no heartbeat and stopped developing at 10 weeks. No...this cannot be happening...again. There is just no way. God wouldn't allow this to happen again. Yet, it did. How am I feeling, you ask? Honestly, I don't really know. I am deeply saddened, angry,hurt, overwhelmed, fearful, determined, full of faith, lacking in faith, etc., etc. How should I be feeling? What should I do now? Do I sit and cry or do I go finish the errands I need to get done today? I am at a loss. What I do know is that less then a week ago I was experiencing such great joy. I watched my son enjoy the very things I loved as a child. I enjoyed time spent with my husband and with us as a family. I felt my toes in the sand, watched my fav...