Skip to main content

Permission

My family and I just got back from a week long vacation. It was long overdue. We've had a couple weekend getaways, but haven't had a good long vacation as a family in two years. I didn't realize how much I needed the rest until we got there. The moment I plopped down in my beach chair, my soul exhaled. I am a stay-at-home-mom. I often think that I am always on vacation since I am always home. I don't have an office I have to drive in to. I don't have any deadlines or meetings to attend. Because of this, I convince myself that my life is rest. Boy, was I wrong. Because I stay home, I never leave my place of work. My office is our home. Just when I think I can clock out, someone pops out of bed because of a bad dream or is in need of another glass of water.

I woke up each morning when I'd hear the boys start stirring. I have three of them, so I am always on alert determining what type of shenanigans they are getting into. I'd start the coffee, check on each of them, and then head to the patio to do a little quiet time and prayer. Slowly but surely, each of the boys would meander out to see me. Sometimes they'd bring their cereal sloshing the milk onto the floor. I'd still get my study time done. It would take a little longer and I may have skipped a sentence or two, but I got it done nonetheless. Finally, by the third day, I realized I needed some time alone.

I set my chair down close enough to the water that the tide would reach my feet when it rolled in. I put my headphones in and took in the scene before me. I watched a chocolate lab race to the water to fetch his stick his tail wagging fervently. I noticed the many dads in the water holding onto their little ones and the waves broke on the shore. I listened. I watched. I soaked it in. And then I began to feel guilty.

The day before we were on the beach and Scott began building a sandcastle with the boys. They each had a job moving about creating a sand masterpiece. I sat in my chair and watched. And then I felt guilty.

I should be doing something. I should be helping with the boys. I should be with them at all times because we are making memories and I need to be a part of that memory in their lives. I cannot have down time. I need to earn my keep and earning my keep means doing.

Hold up. Wait a second. This is crazy nonsense times a million.

As I sat on the beach by myself keenly aware that my husband was having to man our children so I could get some quiet, I realized I had to give myself permission to be free of that responsibility so that I could take care of my soul. I had to release myself from the constant responsibility of the doing in order to have a few moments of quiet so I could recenter myself and recharge my soul. Part of my job requirement for being a successful wife, mom, and homemaker is to make sure I am healthy mind, body, and soul. Sometimes that means I give myself permission to rest and be alone.

I also needed to give myself permission to let go. My job is our boys. Not that my husband bears no responsibility for them, but I take it upon myself to care for them 24/7. I had to step back this week and allow my husband some space to be a father. The boys need that just as much as they need me to be their mother. They have so many memories stored up from our days when they were little and it was just the four of us while daddy was at work. This was a time for the four of them to make memories together. The extra added bonus was that I got to sit in a beach chair for a few moments and not have to worry about anyone drowning or getting stung by a jelly fish.

Isn't it ironic that we have to give ourselves permission to live our lives a certain way? I had to give myself permission to be still and let go of the responsibility of our children for a couple of minutes. And you know what? The world did not end. No one got hurt. No one judged me. If anything, the boys got to go for a crazy golf cart ride without their mama constantly telling them to be careful. And I got some much needed quiet time just me, the Lord, and the sea.

This summer of reset thing I've adopted this summer has been very sweet. It's opened my eyes to see the places that need help, the places that need healing, and the places that need freeing. This season has calmed my soul and opened wide the possibilities that are before me. I have also learned to be empowered with the ability to say no to things and not feel guilty. My summer of reset has opened my eyes to love my actual life; the life that is right before me not the life that could have been or is yet to come. To be present over being perfect.

We have 12 days left of summer before schedules and holidays and school projects take over. I am looking forward to putting to use what I've learned this season: how will I respond to the busy when I've learned I need rest. What I do know is that it is okay to give yourself permission to rest. It is okay to say no to things. It is okay to take time away to reset. I am a new creation evolving every day. I am giving myself permission to grow, change, be.

"This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.