Skip to main content

Intentional

We plopped down in the booth a little out of breath but excited. It was the fourth day of school and the two of us finally get to have a grown-up lunch together. My friend and I were happy to finally have the time to catch up without interruption. We both asked what the other was up to in her new found freedom and we both had similar responses: B-U-S-Y.

I always chuckle a bit when people wonder what us stay-at-home-moms do all day. My friends are probably some of the most productive and talented ladies I know. There isn't time for nothingness.

As we talked about running here, there, and everywhere trying to tackle our mile-long to-do lists, we both laughed at how crazy we both are. We've got an entire school year to take on all the projects and errands. What is with the need to rush through it all in one week?

"Hear this, O Job; stop and consider the wondrous works of God." Job 37:14

Job is a book of the Bible many skip over. Who wants to read about the sufferings of this man? If you stop and take a moment, you will find some beautiful treasures in the book of Job. Never once did Job curse God for all the horrific things that happened to him. In this verse, God is reminding Job of his wonder; all the marvelous things He has done. Don't miss them. Even in your sufferings, don't miss God. All to often, we are so busy that are focus becomes skewed. We look to the frustrations, the things that have to get done, the agendas that we can no longer see the wondrous works of God. When we are intentional with our time, His wonders become our realities.

Intentional. This summer was my summer of reset. I decided that I wanted to lavish in this beautiful life God blessed me with. I wanted to be happy in the mundane and content in the hard. I wanted to see, feel, breath the beauty before me. I didn't want to miss it. In order to shift my focus, I needed to learn how to be intentional. Where did I want my yeses to land and how was I going to feel empowered and okay to say no? I've got one shot at this life. I need to make it good.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

I am not good at resting. I do not like being still. I like doing, and being, and going. However, I have found that I must be intentional with finding stillness in my day. I need it. My mind, body, and soul need it. I learned that I need ten minutes to sit and be still before the boys come home. So, I go outside, sit in my rocking chair, and just be. I don't bring me phone. I leave my book inside. I get ten minutes to let my mind rest and my body be still. When my three crazies run towards me getting off the bus, I am ready to greet them recharged for the afternoon. A simple ten minutes of quiet totally transformed my evenings. They are now full of purpose and peace.

I also learned that I need to be more intentional with my time with the boys. They are away from me for a better portion of the day. I need to find time to spend with my kids. My oldest is ten. I've got eight years until he can walk out of our house and not be home for dinner. We like to go on walks from time-to-time competing in sprints, push-ups, and such so I am making this a habit for us. He talks to me on those walks and I listen. I like that. The other night when I was putting him to bed he asked if we could go on a walk the next day. That made my heart explode. His littlest brother noticed our walks and wanted in on the action. I took him the other day not expecting to get far. My youngest is six and has little legs. We ended up walking the entire neighborhood. He talked the ENTIRE TIME. I don't think he took a breath. All the while, I looked down at my precious baby reminding myself to take all this in because one day, I will be looking up at him instead of down. Because I was intentional with my time with my oldest, I was blessed with time well spent with my youngest.

After my grown-up lunch with my friend, I decided it was time to slow down; time to be intentional. Time is our most precious commodity. We can't put a price tag on our time. God repeatedly shows us through Scripture that our time matters: time with Him, time with our family & friends, and our time spent in our world. There is no need for rush. The projects and to-dos can wait. Being intentional is my focus. It is my song.

Time to shut down and do those few things I need to accomplish so I can get my ten minutes in my rocking chair.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.