Skip to main content

Just a White Girl

I'm a white girl who grew up in a white world. I was born and raised in Orange County, California. Most assume the population there consists of skinny, tan, blond girls and while I fit the blond criteria, I am no where near skinny or tan. That's a stereotype in and of itself. But, for the most part, my community growing up comprised of white people.

I typically shy away from racial discussions. Because I am blond, female, and white, I feel like I have nothing to say and nothing to add to the conversation. I was raised in a home that loved and welcomed everyone regardless of race or culture. I never thought of myself as racist or seeing others any different than being people just like me. Yes, I have gotten the dumb blond jokes and comments and had people assume I am uneducated or I must not know something because I am a stay-at-home-mom, but I have never had to face any real challenges because of what I look like. Because of this, I felt like I had no authority to speak on this issue. Until today.

I was listening to a podcast where they were talking about racial unity and how to get there. As I was listening, I realized how naive I have been. First, I absolutely have a voice in this matter. We all do. I also have two ears that can listen to the other side hopefully gaining some understanding and insight. Second, I do have the tendency to profile people.

Let me explain. Football season has arrived and that cannot be felt more than right here in Texas. We build billion dollar stadiums to house our love-affair with the sport. The guest on the podcast I was listening to mentioned something so poignant about football players. She was talking about one player in particular who was deemed a "thug" based on his appearance and the fact that he played football. Her point was that many of us assume that these players are uneducated and typically thugs. We think most were rescued off the streets and if they actually did attend college, they didn't finish because they got drafted or they were only at that school because they could play. Bam! This hit me. I know better, but in the back of my mind I realized I believed the narrative on these guys: all they are good for is knocking each other out trying to get a ball across a line. I often assume most didn't finish college because they got drafted and most got a free pass in their classes because of their football star status. Never once did it dawn on me that this is exactly where it starts.

This is where we stop seeing people as people and start seeing them based on appearance or some narrative that has been passed down from generation to generation or through the media.

I have friends, and always have had friends, from all walks of life. Race, culture, disabilities have never mattered to me in my inner circles. However, I realize that I do profile people on the outside. I see people based on their job, where they live, how they live, how they raise their kids, and so on. Sometimes, I stop seeing people as people and only see them as a sub-group. This isn't right.

I think where we falter on this issue is when we think we aren't closed minded individuals. We convince ourselves that because we are open to relationships with people of varying backgrounds, we must not hold judgmental attitudes. All-the-while, we are depicting others as one way when that isn't who they are at all.

How do we fix racial tension? How do we change the narratives we have about others? We start by making ourselves aware of our own stereotypes we place on others. Every single one of us has them. Then, we start seeing people for being just that: people. We learn their name before we see their color. We listen to their story instead of judging their culture. We realize that there are a lot of voices that want to fill our heads with false truths about people and we decide not to listen.

Today I learned that I need a little work. Well, if I'm being honest, I've always known that I am a work-in-progress. I also realized that I have a voice and a place in this discussion. I will own my flaws and learn. I will ask questions and give grace upon grace. I will grow and listen to others who don't look, think, act, or believe like I do. There is so much value in learning about others and hearing their stories. I will have open dialogues with friends who are different from me. I will read authors who don't write like I sound. I will try. I will be open. I will start. And I will look to the example Jesus gave us all when he was purposeful about congregating with the marginalized. For it all starts with Jesus.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Be the Bridge is a great way to find ways to start conversations in your community. Check them out on Facebook or beabridgebuidler.com Latasha Morrison is the founder and an incredible person. You can find her on Facebook as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grady's Story

Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil...

Joys and Sorrows

Ok,so I don't really know what to say. All I know is that writing is therapeutic for me and I think I need a little therapy right now. Where to begin? I guess with my doctor appointment. I went in for my routine 12 week check-up only to find out some grim news...the baby had no heartbeat and stopped developing at 10 weeks. No...this cannot be happening...again. There is just no way. God wouldn't allow this to happen again. Yet, it did. How am I feeling, you ask? Honestly, I don't really know. I am deeply saddened, angry,hurt, overwhelmed, fearful, determined, full of faith, lacking in faith, etc., etc. How should I be feeling? What should I do now? Do I sit and cry or do I go finish the errands I need to get done today? I am at a loss. What I do know is that less then a week ago I was experiencing such great joy. I watched my son enjoy the very things I loved as a child. I enjoyed time spent with my husband and with us as a family. I felt my toes in the sand, watched my fav...