Skip to main content

Just a White Girl

I'm a white girl who grew up in a white world. I was born and raised in Orange County, California. Most assume the population there consists of skinny, tan, blond girls and while I fit the blond criteria, I am no where near skinny or tan. That's a stereotype in and of itself. But, for the most part, my community growing up comprised of white people.

I typically shy away from racial discussions. Because I am blond, female, and white, I feel like I have nothing to say and nothing to add to the conversation. I was raised in a home that loved and welcomed everyone regardless of race or culture. I never thought of myself as racist or seeing others any different than being people just like me. Yes, I have gotten the dumb blond jokes and comments and had people assume I am uneducated or I must not know something because I am a stay-at-home-mom, but I have never had to face any real challenges because of what I look like. Because of this, I felt like I had no authority to speak on this issue. Until today.

I was listening to a podcast where they were talking about racial unity and how to get there. As I was listening, I realized how naive I have been. First, I absolutely have a voice in this matter. We all do. I also have two ears that can listen to the other side hopefully gaining some understanding and insight. Second, I do have the tendency to profile people.

Let me explain. Football season has arrived and that cannot be felt more than right here in Texas. We build billion dollar stadiums to house our love-affair with the sport. The guest on the podcast I was listening to mentioned something so poignant about football players. She was talking about one player in particular who was deemed a "thug" based on his appearance and the fact that he played football. Her point was that many of us assume that these players are uneducated and typically thugs. We think most were rescued off the streets and if they actually did attend college, they didn't finish because they got drafted or they were only at that school because they could play. Bam! This hit me. I know better, but in the back of my mind I realized I believed the narrative on these guys: all they are good for is knocking each other out trying to get a ball across a line. I often assume most didn't finish college because they got drafted and most got a free pass in their classes because of their football star status. Never once did it dawn on me that this is exactly where it starts.

This is where we stop seeing people as people and start seeing them based on appearance or some narrative that has been passed down from generation to generation or through the media.

I have friends, and always have had friends, from all walks of life. Race, culture, disabilities have never mattered to me in my inner circles. However, I realize that I do profile people on the outside. I see people based on their job, where they live, how they live, how they raise their kids, and so on. Sometimes, I stop seeing people as people and only see them as a sub-group. This isn't right.

I think where we falter on this issue is when we think we aren't closed minded individuals. We convince ourselves that because we are open to relationships with people of varying backgrounds, we must not hold judgmental attitudes. All-the-while, we are depicting others as one way when that isn't who they are at all.

How do we fix racial tension? How do we change the narratives we have about others? We start by making ourselves aware of our own stereotypes we place on others. Every single one of us has them. Then, we start seeing people for being just that: people. We learn their name before we see their color. We listen to their story instead of judging their culture. We realize that there are a lot of voices that want to fill our heads with false truths about people and we decide not to listen.

Today I learned that I need a little work. Well, if I'm being honest, I've always known that I am a work-in-progress. I also realized that I have a voice and a place in this discussion. I will own my flaws and learn. I will ask questions and give grace upon grace. I will grow and listen to others who don't look, think, act, or believe like I do. There is so much value in learning about others and hearing their stories. I will have open dialogues with friends who are different from me. I will read authors who don't write like I sound. I will try. I will be open. I will start. And I will look to the example Jesus gave us all when he was purposeful about congregating with the marginalized. For it all starts with Jesus.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Be the Bridge is a great way to find ways to start conversations in your community. Check them out on Facebook or beabridgebuidler.com Latasha Morrison is the founder and an incredible person. You can find her on Facebook as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.