Skip to main content

Let Them

Pick. Pick. Pick. Have you ever had one of those seasons where little things picked away at you like a crow picking hay out of a scarecrow? Eventually, you become depleted and fall into a lump of stress and exhaustion. You try to do it on your own because you know yourself and that you can handle this mess. It's only little things, you tell yourself.

I am horrible at something. Well, I am bad at a lot of things, but this takes the cake. Let's start with what I am good at, though. Always start with the positives, right? I am really good at helping others out. Need prayer? I'm your prayer warrior. Need me to run an errand, watch a kid, grab you something at the store? I've got it. Need a meal or surprise gift on your porch because you've had a rough go at things? Yep. I'm in.

Here's what I'm really bad at: letting others do this for me. I don't want to put anyone out. I feel like I can handle things on my own. It's not that I don't think I need people. I completely realize and accept my need for others. I am a people person. I struggle, however, with letting others help me; serve me.

Let them.

I learned that I have to let people serve me. Serving others absolutely fills my soul. When I can help someone out, I am so fulfilled. Not in a boost-my-ego kind of way. It's more of a feeling of love. Why then, do I not allow others in to help me? Why don't I allow others to encourage me to follow after my dreams, believe in me when I can't, make my family a meal when I am so fatigued I am ready to drop?

The past two months have been a season of pecking. One small annoyance and frustration after another. Expensive things breaking. Kids needing medical attention and not just for the common cold. It seems like something has happened every week since we got home from vacation in August. Last week, I was bone-dry. Another kid had another medical need and I was spent. I went on Instagram and asked for prayer. I couldn't have imagined what I would receive from one small post from a weary heart.

"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love." Galations 5:13

I received prayer upon prayer. The hugs and words of encouragement poured over me reignited my soul. My load was lightened with a little crockpot kit which included a slow cooker liner and everything. I get to wear a beautiful bracelet a friend made me reminding me that I have people in my corner and on my team. I opened the mailbox to find a journal and a note encouraging me to follow after my dreams and to remind me that she believed in me...probably more than I believe in myself.

My spirit was jump-started because I let them. I let the people in my life into my world and they showed up. I had absolutely NO expectations. I just needed a little prayer. And the tribe showed up. They couldn't have done that if I hadn't let them.

We are called to serve one another. We are created to serve one another. Jesus is the greatest example of this. He came to this earth to serve. Service isn't one sided. I had to let go of my pride and thinking that I was fine and can do it all in order to allow others to use their God-given talents to lighten my load.

I think there are many reasons we struggle with allowing others to serve us. One of those reasons, I believe, is fear of disappointment. Instead of allowing others to serve us based on how they were created and their gifts, we expect them to behave as we would in that situation. Thus, we are disappointed when others don't show up the way we think they should and we shut down. We don't share our hurts, exhaustion, or heart out of fear of being let down and left to feel lonely once again.

Let me encourage you. Let your people serve you. Let them serve you in their own capacities not what you expect. Don't wait for them to show up the way you would. Allow your tribe to love you the way God created them to. Tell them your hopes and dreams so they can believe in you when you cannot. Give them an opportunity to do for you by letting them into your world of chaos. And when you do, brick-by-brick will be lifted from your shoulders. All you have to do is let them.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.