Skip to main content

Little Wooden Box

One of my very best friends is not a Christian. We met in college in our credential program and then got our Masters in Education together. That was sixteen years ago. We have seen each other through school stresses, beginning our careers, advancing our careers,travel, marriages, babies, and all of life's other happenings. She's my "talk-me-off-this-ledge-give-me-a-different-perspective" girl. We are very similar so we get each other's crazy. While we have many similarities, we are also vastly different. Kind of like the odd couple. And you know what? I kind of like it.

A couple of weeks ago, I was struggling with some big-ticket items in my faith. Some well-known Christians came out with some stuff and were immediately attacked by numerous people. What got me down was that they were quickly berated by fellow Christians. I had friends texting and messaging asking me my thoughts challenging me in every way. My husband and I are also studying church history. While we are headed down the same path, our studies differ and vary leading to deep conversation. Because of all this racket, my head was spinning. I need my checks-and-balances girl.

I text her a question: What are your thoughts on faith vs. religion? Yup. I opened Pandora's box. I asked a friend to talk to me about religion. The conversation also led a little into politics so there's that. Just in case you are wondering, we are still friends.

I wanted to hear about faith and religion from someone who practices neither. Well, I shouldn't say neither because that's not entirely true. She believes in spirituality to some degree but does not link herself to a specific belief system or religion.

What is boiled down to for her was that Jesus is in a box. Christianity is a list of rules and regulations. If you don't fit in the tidy little box, you don't belong. Out of the club you go. This club is exclusive and if you don't fit, you don't count and you definitely don't belong. That is off-putting to her and I completely understand why. Placing God in a box breeds hate, fear, and rejection not love. A pretty wooden box might make you feel safe but it limits God's power and His grace.

When she text me her thoughts, all I could think of was a little wooden box. We stuff Christianity into this charming little box and whatever doesn't fit gets left out. We claim we know God's will, how God thinks, and what God is or isn't doing. We talk as if these opinions and commentaries are fact. We suffocate God when we put the lid on our pretty little box. We stifle the very essence of the Gospel when we turn the key in the lock.

We all have boundaries. Every walk of life has some sort of dividing line between acceptable and deplorable. There, of course, are the exceptions to the rule. But, most people have some sort of moral code. I am not saying that the Bible is a free-for-all. There are definitely Scriptures that talk about ways of living. However, these are all in the context of following Jesus. Whenever Paul talks about life and how we should live, he is always talking on the basis of Jesus. He knew that there is life in Jesus, thus, you and I can have access to this full-life the more our lives emulate His. This isn't about putting Jesus in a box with lock and key. This is about becoming more like Him, and, in doing so, you experience nor only life, but life in abundance (John 10:9-11).

Jesus doesn't fit into a neat little wooden box. If you do anything whether you are in the faith or out of the faith, study the life of Jesus. There, you will find misfits, hoodlums, murderers, liars, lovers. You will also find a grace so amazing that there is no human explanation. No box can contain the love of Christ.

I like having an unlikely match in my corner. My friend keeps me humble. She keeps me kind. And, most importantly, she keeps me thinking and out of the box. I love our chats for they push me past my comfort and into the gray where I have to search to find my way. She loves me where I am at and doesn't try to change me. I try and do the same for her. For it is not my call to change but to love.

I will continue to text her conversations that we are told not to have because it keeps me learning and teaches me how to be a better listener. My friend is amazing. She is kind. She is brave. She is intelligent and strong. I am privileged and blessed to call such a woman my friend.

Love & Blessings,
Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.