Skip to main content

Just Do What I Do

"Don't compare your insides to someone else's outsides." Rob Lowe

"Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day.
Darkness and light are alike to You.
For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother’s womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:12-14

Last Christmas we unintentionally did far less than previous years. We didn't run from here-there-and-everywhere trying to jam in every Christmas activity possible. I remember when I was packing up our Christmas garb, I felt such a sense of fullness and peace. It was then that I realized less is truly more. I was more fulfilled than any other Christmas season and I had done half of what we normally do. I vowed to continue this trend.

I broke my rules and tradition this year. I deviated from my norm of waiting until after Thanksgiving to put up my Christmas decorations. I love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday. I love the smells, the change in the weather, the move from light meals to warm and hearty. I love the underlying theme of gratefulness. I never want to rush through the season of Thanksgiving. But, I did. We had a really cold Saturday before Thanksgiving, nothing on our schedule, and I wasn't hosting the holiday. So, down came the autumn decor and up went Christmas. And my husband rolled his eyes.

I didn't realize at the time, but I created space in my life by decorating that day. I moved slow putting up a little here and there and then taking a break and playing with the kids. We were able to take our time the following weekend cutting down our Christmas tree. The boys worked together putting the lights up outside while I decorated the tree inside. The whole experience was slow opening me up to enjoy the moments and memories we were creating.

And then it happened. I looked on social media and started that ugly comparison game. Here's the ironic thing: I was bothered because I had things too organized. Things were too well-placed. While my friends were posting articles and statuses about how mess and letting go and imperfection were best, I liked my well-placed ornaments on my tree. I am not claiming my house to be perfect by any means, but I like things in there place. Always have. The boys have their tree and there space to be who they are. But, I like things a certain way. It's just what I do. It's who I am.

So, there I sat in conflict. On the one hand, our Christmas season had started perfectly for our little family: we moved slower than normal, enjoyed time together, and began to create memories. And then I felt guilty because all my ornaments were in their proper place and social media was telling me that's not okay.

Here's the deal: I am just going to do what I do and you do what you do and that's gotta be okay. Who would have thought I would quote Rob Lowe, but dare I say, the man is onto something. He told his son when he sent him off to college not to compare his insides to everyone else's outside. Wise words.

I scrolled social media this morning only to find numerous friends posting about the comparison game. We all do it and we all go there even though we hate it. We know we are comparing our insides to others' outsides but its hard to stop. It's a cycle we often find ourselves in and struggle to dig out.

One thing the boys and I talk about often is how cool it is that we are all so uniquely created. If we were all the same, life would be boring. I always come back to Psalm 139:12-14. God designed each of us remarkably. All of our flaws and talents were meant for this world at exactly this time. So, I am going to do what I do, what I was created for, and you do what you do. We need each other in all our idiosyncrasies.

It's okay to have all the ornaments placed just so. It's okay to have the top half of your tree decorated because you are in the thick of the toddler years. It's okay to do all the activities or have jammie day. Each brings blessings to our souls in different ways and that's what makes life so beautiful; so fulfilling. It's okay to be you exactly how you are no matter what that looks like. You don't need some article, blog, or Facebook status to justify how God created you to be.

So, you do what you do and I will do what I do celebrating this holiday season exactly the way God intended. For He created you. Be that person.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.