Skip to main content

Say What You Need To Say

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

Act justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly.

I love this verse. I love it so much, I painted it on a piece of wood and hung it above our fireplace. My heart bursts for justice, mercy, and humility. My soul longs for the three. I am passionate, so very passionate, about justice, mercy, and humility. So much so, that observing the state of our nation and the world around us makes me feel a physical discomfort so deep that oftentimes, I have to walk away and get alone to regroup and compose myself.

God calls us to mercy, justice, and humility throughout the Scriptures. Jesus lived this out in his 33 years on earth. So, it is only fitting that we are all wired for these three things. It is in our nature to have a response when we witness an injustice. We can understand when someone comes completely undone when another doesn't receive mercy where grace should abound. We naturally criticize the pompous who seem to lack one ounce of humility. We were built for justice, mercy, and humility.

Then, why do we get it so wrong so often?

If we are built, created for, justice, mercy, and humility, then why does our world seem so out-of-whack? If we carry these three truths, whether a Christian or not, the world should be peaceful. Of course, you are going to still have your crazies. But, the common community should reflect one of love and grace. Yet, that is not what many of us our witnessing as of late.

When it comes to justice, mercy, and humility, you can't have one without the other or you get off-balance. If your cry for justice outweighs your humility, pride and anger can sneak in. If you are too merciful, boundaries are lost and things get muddy. You cannot have one without the other. They are mutually exclusive. When one of the three takes over, pride, fear, anger, hostility, entitlement, and the like creep in.

I recently listened to a podcast where the host interviewed a Mormon and a Christian. She did not have these guests on to debate their differing theology. Instead, she interviewed the ladies because they are a unique pair. The two have come together unified to teach the people of their faiths about the other. They realized they can do greater good together than apart. Even though their belief systems disagree, their determination to live out the love, grace, and service of Jesus is the same. Because of this, they have set out to work together for the common good of man.

As I listened to these women, both were deeply passionate about their faith. Each lady believed their faith system was the right one. Even though their ideals oppose one another, they have found a way to listen and learn from each other with humility and grace. Thus, they are able to come together with a wider outreach to work for justice and show mercy.

When the host asked the ladies if they've received any push-back, both gave a resounding, "YES!" Ironically, the push back has not come from the general public. However, the opposition derived within their own congregation. The problem the Evangelicals and Mormons have with the women of their faith working together is that neither is trying to convert the other. Instead, their goal is to act justly towards one another, show each other mercy, and humbly learn from each other while serving others. Their goal is to love not to convert. The know that's God's job. Because they have humbly accepted their role in this equation that God has called them to, they are not easily offended by the other. Wow. What a concept.

If we find the balance between loving justice, seeking mercy, and walking humbly, our hard conversations with one another will be a lot more peace-filled. We will witness much more listening a whole lot less noise. When we refuse to allow justice to overtake mercy or humility to get lost in justice, we open the door to understanding others giving grace the way Jesus did.

Look, I would love to have the whole world know my Savior. Heck, I would be fulfilled if just my family and friends who didn't know Jesus came to know and accept him because I know what it's like on the other side. But, my role isn't converting every last person whether that be converting them to Christianity or to my cause of the moment. My role in this big wide world is to act justly towards those around me; especially those who oppose and think differently than me. I am to love mercy. That means I am merciful to those that offend and wrong me. And finally, I am to be humble. Pride has no place in my vocabulary or my life for it leads to anger, resentment, and hate.

Life is about others and when we are others-focused we naturally act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly.

May you act justly towards those who persecute you.
May you be merciful to those who offend you.
May you live humbly opening the door to listen more.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.