Skip to main content

Bubble Wrap & a Farm House

I sat on the seat of the Green Machine. It’s like a big kid’s big wheel. He was crying and I couldn’t console him. He needed to get it all out. As I listened, I reverted back to ten year old me remembering the hurts wanting to take it all from him. Only I couldn’t. That wasn’t my job.
I kept praying in my head desperately searching for the right thing to say. He kept crying. When he finally took a breath, I had a million things to say but couldn’t speak. I wanted to wrap him in bubble wrap or move him to a farm to take him away from it all. Does anyone have either of those? I am in the market. But that’s not my job.

When I told him I couldn’t take this from him even though I wanted to, he asked me why. Why couldn’t the one he looks to for safety, protection, comfort, and security release him of the burdens he carried? My only answer was, “That isn’t my job.”

“Train a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6

I don’t know how to do this parenting thing. I am convinced it gets harder as they get older. I thought raising tiny humans was overwhelming, but now I have these big kids facing big problems and guiding them in the right direction is terrifying. And then I have to incorporate this God component with-out being too Jesus-freakish and that can make me want to crawl in a hole and come back out after they have all survived junior high and high school. But, that’s not my job either.

So, there I say on that tiny seat that is meant for my six year old watching the tears fall faster than he can wipe them away listening to his angst. The only thing I had to offer was love, grace, and a soft place to land. The only thing I could tell him was that life is hard and does suck at times, but we have a good good Father. That, when you find your confidence in Him and Him alone, others have control over our lives less and less. Something I learned recently myself.

My job isn’t to fix. My job isn’t to fight for him. My job isn’t to ignore or sweep under the rug. My job is to sit on tiny bicycles freezing because the wind is howling listening to him cry. He doesn’t always need me to speak. He just needs me to be: to be near, to be safe, to be a soft space to go when life gets ever so hard.

Watching my kid struggle and not being able to fix it reminded me that I also need to trust that good good Father. I need to remember that He is my soft place to land. He is my safety. He wants to be near.
This whole parenting gig is not for the faint of heart. It is also not meant for us to do alone or have all the answers. It’s a place of deep humility and so SO much grace. I haven’t got all this stuff figured out. And when I think I do, another kid will come along with a completely different reaction to the exact same problem and I start all over again.

Be near. And remember, He’s a good good Father. We are not alone.

Love & Blessings,
Meg


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.