Skip to main content

The Home

The school where my boys' attend started a new program this year. The program is called, "Genius Hour." The purpose of the program is to get kids to work together to create something that may help someone else. The goal is to get students excited about something that interests them, build on that idea with a small community in their classroom, brainstorm ways this could help their community, and the world. The idea is that when we work together, we can bring positive change to those close to us and those far away. This genius hour has even spawned an opportunity for our students and town to come together to raise funds to build a school in Ghana. Pretty cool if you ask me.

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Matthew 10:38-42

I'm not going to lie. These are not my favorite verses of the Bible. I am always Martha. I try so hard to be Mary, but my natural tendency is to busy and worry myself when I should be sitting at the feet of Jesus.

I want to examine these words a little differently than how they are typically studied. Preachers and teachers will talk about how Martha's focus was in the wrong place. She need not busy herself with tasks. Rather, she needs to be still before the Lord. We get this. I want to look at it from the perspective of the home.

Jesus and his disciples were traveling and needed rest. Jesus knew right where to go. He knew he and his men would find rest and food with these two ladies. Here's what I see when I read this story: I see one of the very first displays of worship. I see a woman who knew what was important: stopping and loving her Lord. I also see a frantic woman who is so anxious about the little things, things that don't matter at the end of the day, that she missed it. She missed her opportunity to worship. She failed to love those that came into her home because she was blinded by unnecessary angst.

A light bulb went on in my head like a light springing on in the dead of night.

It starts in the home. All that matters to this world begins withing our four walls. How well are you doing in that space?

The state of our culture is screaming at us that we are doing it wrong. The shouts mirror the very words Jesus spoke: "you are worried and upset about many things, but few are needed..."

We are so distracted by worries, fears, and the shouting outside our home that we are missing our call to love, serve, and connect within our homes.

Jesus went to Mary and Martha because he knew he would find rest. Are you providing rest in your home? Are your four walls closing in on you and your family or are they sighing a deep sigh of relief when you enter?

Jesus knew he'd be fed at Mary and Martha's. He didn't just know he would be fed physically, he also knew he'd be filled spiritually. How are you feeding your family? Is the news playing in the background 24/7? Are you getting on social media only to set the phone down or shut the computer angry and tense?

Last, Jesus knew he would be worshiped. He knew Mary was going to lay at his feet acknowledging who he is. He didn't need the fuss. He knew Mary needed to be still before her Lord to refresh her soul just as much as he needed his child to lay at his feet rejuvenating his. What are you worshiping in your home? Are you chasing busy or chasing God? Are your words encouraging? Do they build up your people or tear them down?

The story of Mary and Martha is so simple, yet so rich. These verses refocus our attention back where it needs to be: on our Savior first and our people second. There is a place to fight for justice; to scream for your cause. But, if your four walls are hurting and being neglected, you won't get an ounce done. Love your people. Start within your four walls and work your way out.

It all starts at home.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.