Skip to main content

Attendance

When I first came to church, Jesus was always presented in a relational context. Never did he seem like this far off being that was too big and too great to have anything to do with little ole me. I learned from the very beginning that Jesus desired a relationship with me. I realize not everyone was or is taught this relational version of Jesus. Because of this, I think it is easy to slip into an attendance-based spiritual journey rather than a relational one.

I attend a large church. It is easy to go unnoticed. If I wasn't involved and missed a Sunday, no one would be the wiser. It's easy to hide in a big church. I also live in the south, the coveted "Bible belt" where going to church on Sunday is per the usual. I remember when we first moved to Texas from California. We had been here maybe a couple of days so we had yet to venture out and find a church. I went to the grocery store on a Sunday morning and the parking lot was empty. I walked up to the doors and almost turned around because I thought the store was closed. Everyone was apparently at church.

Being a Christian and going to church is commonplace in the US. It is not uncommon to have a neighborhood who associates with being a Christian and attends the Sunday morning service. I am curious to know, however, how many of our neighbors are church attendees but don't have a relationship with Jesus.

It's easy to attend church on Sunday. You get to put on your cute little outfit and go out to lunch after. If you're lucky, the Cowboys are playing Sunday afternoon and you catch a little snooze on the couch. This is the American life.

I wonder, however, how many church goers are attendees but don't have a relationship with Jesus. How difficult is it when Monday comes and church is over. When those trials hit, those lonely places rise, or the darkness overwhelms, is Jesus there beside you or do you have to wait until Sunday to get fed.

We often rate how our faith is doing by how many Sundays we have attended church. When, all-the-while, Jesus is calling us into relationship with him. He wants to hear from us, guide us, comfort us, grow us, be near us Monday through Saturday; not just on Sunday.

It is time for us to move from Sunday morning attendance to a relationship with him. He is waiting for us to draw near so he may move in our lives in ways that are unimaginable.

What are you waiting for?

Jesus is near. He is waiting for you in the church pew to take him with you through your week. All you need to do is call on him.

"The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all." Psalm 34:17-19

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 4:6-7

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on the wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all — how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:31-32

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.