Skip to main content

Take it Away

Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. The king’s command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and these three men, firmly tied, fell into the blazing furnace.

Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, “Weren’t there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?”

They replied, “Certainly, Your Majesty.”

He said, “Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.”

Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!” Daniel 3:19-26 (emphasis mine)

When I experience a trial or a challenging time in my life, my prayer often sounds like this, "Lord, please take this from me. I cannot do this. It hurts too much. I am not strong enough."

Rarely does he answer this prayer.

I remember when we decided to sell our home and live in an apartment. The boys were 2, 3, and 6 years old. My husband was traveling for work more than usual. And our dog was as big and obnoxious as ever. At first, I embraced this new adventure. I liked the quaintness of our little place. We had made it our own. Our neighbors were great and the surrounding area was beautiful. We had each other and that was what mattered.

And then some time passed.

I was removed from the community I was used to. I was lost in my new grocery store not knowing where anything was. My two year old liked to sit at the top of the stairs staring at me waiting for me to load backpacks, nap mats, and all my teacher gear in the car so I could come get him and carry him down. I remember having to lock the boys in the apartment while I quickly jolted down the back stairs to take the dog out. I prayed they wouldn't burn the place down before I got back. It was new, uncomfortable, exhausting, and tight. I remember collapsing in my friends arms a puddle of tears one night telling her I couldn't do this anymore. She looked me square in the eyes and told me, "Yes, you can."

I wanted God to make that season easier for me. I wanted my new house to be built faster. But, instead, he slowed the process down (to a stand-still at times) changing project managers halfway thru. I just wanted to be comfortable in my home without all the daily nuances of apartment life, a traveling husband, crazy beast of a dog, and small kids. But, he didn't.

I look at the very familiar story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. We all know about the three men who were thrown into the fiery furnace for not bowing down and worshiping the king. The came out unscathed because of the Lord's protection and their faithfulness to him. We use this story when we talk about walking through our own fires comforting ourselves and others that the Lord will protect us through the trials. But, I see something different here. I see another figure in the fire.

As much as we would like, God doesn't always remove the fire. He allows the flames because he knows it's good for us. We are molded, shaped, and matured through the heat. He knows growth, grace, and faith happen there. We get angry and frustrated that he doesn't remove us from the furnace missing the truest sight seen brightest through the smoke. Him.

God may not remove us from the atrocious circumstances of our lives. But, you better be sure he is walking alongside us in the inferno. There was a fourth figure seen through all the flames and smoke. Those three men were not alone when things got too hot. Their Lord stood right beside them the entire time.

I think about my life and the times when I have wished the trial away. However, in doing so, I am also wishing away my Savior. I am begging him to leave my life, to leave my side, all because it feels too hard. I am asking to remove the biggest blessing in my life when I ask for the challenge to be removed: an opportunity to walk closest with the only One who can save me.

To think I could miss an opportunity to walk closely with Jesus and, not to mention, a possibility to show Jesus to the world, is overwhelming to me. I don't want to ever wish him away.

God may not take the trial, the pain, the fear, the ache away. But, you better believe he will walk with you through the flames.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.