Skip to main content

The Talk

It's that time: the time for the "talk" with our eldest. We actually had the talk a while ago, but it was time to watch the coveted video at school. The teachers sent a link, so my husband, son, and I watched it together. Our intent was to diffuse the giggles and awkwardness that come with watching something like that with your peers. Nothing like watching a video about body changes with your parents. We also try to be intentional about having those tough, not-so-fun, embarrassing conversations before they happen outside the home. I have three boys. I know nothing about boys coming from a family of all girls. I mean, I have one male cousin. That's it. Boys are foreign to me.

I remember when my oldest was a toddler. I was so very anti-gun. I didn't want him to hear the word, see guns in his shows, much less, have a toy gun. I am originally from California so cut me some slack. Now that most of my family are Texans, guns aren't so scary anymore. Even with all that "protection," the kid still made a gun out of his little toddler hand and began shooting things before he was two. He had been exposed to Mickey Mouse and Little Einsteins up until now. The point being, kids will find out. They will hear the stories and be exposed to it all. The question is, who will show him and tell him first? His parents or the world?

We want our boys to hear it from us first. Our desire is to build a relationship with these kids where they can trust us and feel comfortable enough to come to us with some hard stuff. We know they aren't going to tell us everything. We don't want them to. But, we do want our home to be a sanctuary for them; a place where they can come and let go divulging those difficult things without fear of being judged or punished.

I will tell you, this is HARD. So very hard. It's exhausting at times. It takes patience, perseverance, and commitment. You can't let up or let things slip. You have to stay alert and aware while finding the balance between giving them roots and giving them wings. But, at the end of the day, it's so worth it. It also doesn't hurt to have a good village surrounding your family. My boys know they have an uncle, cousins, grandfathers, and life group dads they can all seek out and not feel uncomfortable. Knowing we are not alone in this parenting journey makes me breath a huge sigh or relief.

My husband and I do not have all the answers. We fail more than we succeed in this parenting gig. But, we are committed to our boys and their well-being. We know that we are not just raising kids. We are raising the next leaders, fathers, husbands, friends, and businessmen. It was much easier when we were concerned with whether or not they were going to potty train. Ha. Parenting is the most difficult task I have ever endured. Yet, it is the most rewarding and fulfilling part of my life. I will keep on learning and pressing on guiding these boys on a path towards spiritual, emotional, and mental health and success. Hopefully they won't need too much therapy when they grow up.

"Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Book Recommendations:
Stan and Brenda Jones...
The Story of Me
Before I Was Born
What's the Big Deal
Facing the Facts

Good Pictures Bad Pictures
Kristen A Jensen

It's Great to Be a Guy
Jarrod Sechler
Dannah Gresh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.