Skip to main content

Drop It

Release your expectations.

Redefine success.

Let go of dissapointment.

Drop the shoulds.

I listened to a podcast today and the last ten minutes were mind-blowing and so freeing. The guest said a few things in regards to motherhood that speak volumes to every single one of our lives. She said we need to release our expectations, redefine our successes, let go of our disappointments, and drop the shoulds we have for our lives. I think we know this but most of us aren't living it.

How absolutely freeing would it be for ourselves and those around us if we released our expectations? How unobstructed would our kids feel if we released our expectations of them? What would happen if we just let them play ball, color a picture outside of the lines, wore mismatched clothes? How would they behave if we released the unattainable expectations we place on our lives? What would our marriages look like if we released our spouse of our expectations and just allowed them to love us the best they knew how? What would your life look like if you just lived, unabashed, not caring what others thought of you or what you thought you had to do? Man, I see such freedom.

What if we decided to define success for our lives instead of what the world said success looked like? What if success meant we didn't take that promotion but chose our family instead? What if our child lasting a whole five minutes in a store before a meltdown ensued was seen as a success instead of a failure? Oh man. If we redefine what success looks like for our individual lives, we would be living much freer and less tightly wound.

What if we let those disappointments go like a balloon being released into the sky? Can you already feel that relief just thinking about this visual? I can. I may just go ahead and buy a balloon, write out my disappointments, and let them fly away high in the bright blue abyss. Disapointment is weighty and heavy. Letting them go feels light. I like light.

Oh how the shoulds of our lives can amputate us. We can go to bed at night exhausted and completely broken down because of all the shoulds we didn't do. What if we just let it all go; released it from our existence? What would that feel like? I bet I'd sleep a whole lot better at night.

I think we all crave freedom. We all desire to let go and be free of the expectations, the vying for success, the disappointments, and the should ofs. We desperately want this but hold onto these things with an iron-clad fist.

But, we can let it all go. We can have freedom. It's sitting right in front of us waiting for us to take it. He's right there.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

He calls us to allow him to take our burdens. He wants our unattainable expectations and missed successes. He wants to carry our disappointments and fill in the gaps where the should-ofs were never fulfilled. He's waiting for us to hand it over. Are you ready to give it to him?

Freedom is waiting.

Release your expectations.

Redefine success.

Let go of dissapointment.

Drop the shoulds.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.