Skip to main content

Yep

I had to get up and leave the dinner table. I was so mad. One of the boys did something forgivable BUT it was the 85th gazillion time he had made this "mistake" and I thought he should have learned by now.

Yep. It happens to me. I think it's easy to read this blog, look at my Instagram feed, or peak into my life and think I've got things all figured out. I talk about Jesus a lot and how much I love my boys, husband, family, and friends. It could seem like I automatically jump to Jesus when I'm having a bad day, but that's just not the case.

I was so mad at my kid the other night that I literally had to get up from the dinner table and sit in a quiet room with the doors shut. I knew if I stayed I would have snapped at him. And while this sounds like I made the right choice, what I really wanted to do was stay and be mad.

Just last week I dealt with insecurities with friends. I felt forgotten, left out, and jaded. I felt like the girl who was pushed out of the cool crowd. It sucked.

What I have found is that there is no magic Scripture that will make it all better. When we are in hard moments, sometimes hearing its for the best or Jesus is with you doesn't make all those yucky feelings go away. While sticking to our faith is beneficial, there is no magic Jesus pill we can take to make it all better. Sometimes, we just have to surge through the muck and get to the other side.


"...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" Romans 3:23-24

Look, we are all sinners. We ALL fall short; even me. More often than not, I want to stay mad, I want to throw a tantrum, and I want to be sad and sometimes I am. I give myself space and grace to feel all the feelings because you know what? God does the same. He gave us our emotions. He gives us grace to feel them. It's what we do with those feelings that matters.

I have learned that when I start to feel short or angry with the boys, I need to walk away. I even tell them that. I tell them that I am angry and I need a moment. I lock myself in my closet, the bathroom, or my office for a minute and compose my crazy self. I used to eat my "secret chocolate" in the pantry with the door closed and the lights off. This was until the youngest told me he had a piece of my beloved secret chocolate and I knew I was found out. Anyway, I just give myself a moment to feel mad and then I take a deep breath and come back down to reality.

I have also learned that most times when I am feeling insecure with friends it's not because of them. It's because of me. I have inflected some type of tone or emotion to their text or post and create a wild story around these false feelings. I have gathered a little courage and learned that a lot can be hashed out when I pick up the phone and call. There's nothing a little conversation can't work out. It may be difficult, but totally worth it in the end.

I guess I felt I needed to write this post because I think many of us (especially Christians) look to other believers and think they have it all worked out. We assume when failures rise in their lives, they turn to Jesus, have all the right verses, and everything is sunshine and lollipops. That is just not the case. We all have to work through our junk and just like Romans 2:23-24 says, we ALL sin and fall short. No one is spared. We've got to allow ourselves to feel the feelings and muddle through the junk. We typically get to the other side unscathed and a little wiser for it.

Give yourself a little grace today.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.