Skip to main content

2 Become 1 = Me

'The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones,
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man.”

For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.' Genesis 2:22-26

When Scott and I were first married, we met with our pastor and his wife for two reasons: tithing and moving. We brought some serious debt to the table when we got married so tithing was difficult in the beginning. Scott also wanted to move out of state because California was so extraordinarily expensive. I, on the other hand, fought him tooth and nail on the subject. I could not imagine leaving my family and friends. Our pastor quoted Genesis 2:24 when we brought of the subject of moving and I knew he was right.

We all know that when we get married, we become one. We are still our independent selves, however, we add a layer of oneness when we enter the covenant of marriage. What we don't realize when we take that step is that becoming one means we die to self and our selfishness to a certain extent.

When asked about how she supports her husband, Maria Goff said she had to let go of the idea that two become one equals me. I about stopped dead in my tracks when I heard her words. They are and were so profound. My first thought was that this statement is so very true. My second thought was how this statement is the reason so many marriages fail.

When we become one with our spouse, we subconsciously assume that means they take on our characteristics. Becoming one means you become like me. And when you don't become like me, well, then you are just plain wrong and need to change. I think part of the reason we do this is out of fear of losing ourselves and, quite frankly, we like the way we do things.

Once we realize two becoming one does not mean we have to lose our identity, we can surrender and let go a little. Two becoming one doesn't mean who you are is gone. Rather, it means you are willing to sacrifice and surrender a little for the betterment of the whole; the marriage.

My husband and I are two completely different people. And when I say completely different, I mean it. We always fall on opposite ends of the spectrum when taking personality tests. He's an introvert and could live on an island alone while I am the extrovert who needs people around all the time. He is quiet and subdued and I am loud and emotional. We are two vastly different people and yet, we have not lost ourselves in our marriage. He is still him and I am still me. We have learned how to come together and make one another better and yes, we have sacrificed a little along the way.

Maria Goff described it this way. Her husband, Bob Goff, is the balloon. She is the string. You see the balloon and don't ever really notice the string unless you're the one holding it. However, the balloon would fly away without the string. You need both. They compliment each other. That's marriage: the ability to go unnoticed so your spouse can live out their purpose. A little bit of sacrifice without losing yourself.

Becoming one doesn't mean you lose yourself. It also doesn't mean only one personality thrives while the other dies off. Instead, you figure out who is the balloon and who is the string sometimes taking turns being both.

I have been married for almost fifteen years. It seems like a long time but I know we are still babies in this journey. I have learned through the years that I am far better off when I meet him in the middle instead of trying to force a square peg in a round hole desiring my spouse to do things my way; become like me. I don't want to be married to me. I honestly don't know how he's done it all these years. What I do know, is that when I let go and surrender in my marriage truly becoming one with my spouse, I experience the deepest love and greatest blessing.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.