Skip to main content

The Birds

A few months ago, I walked into my house from the garage and heard an odd sound. I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from nor could I decipher what on earth was making that sound. I stood silently for a second and realized the noise was coming from upstairs. Upon further investigation, I realized we had a bird trapped in our house. I ran downstairs and knocked on my husband's office door. I mouthed, "There's a bird in the house!" in a panicked, yet silent, tone. He mouthed back, "I'm on a call. I can't help." Grrrrrreat. That means I have to get the bird. Alrighty-then. I grabbed my gym towel and crept up the stairs. The bird was frozen, so I took advantage of the situation and gently grabbed the dove with the towel. I carried it downstairs and set her on the table outside. I was soon knocked in the head by her partner as he swooped down to rescue her and they flew away.

The very next day, my husband and I were both sidelined by birds in our garage. We went outside on separate occasions only to have birds buzz our heads. We shooed them out but they kept coming back. A couple days later, we thought we had rid ourselves of all the bird shenanigans, but we were wrong. My husband jumped in his truck and headed out on a quick errand. When he parked, he noticed a bird sitting on his hood on the passenger side. He thought it was odd, but the bird flew away when he got out. As he walked back to his car, he noticed there was a nest on his truck. The birds that tormented us in the garage decided to make their home on a truck. Awesome.

The bird fiasco did not end there. We ended up having an injured bird in our garage a week later and another dove build a nest on a high shelf in our garage. This is the bird I really want to tell you about.

I have the same routine every morning. When I wake up, I go through the process of opening all our curtains and blinds at the front of our house. I started to notice a bird sitting on our front porch every morning when I'd open the curtains. I walk around, turn the coffee pot on, feed the dog, and head to the garage to get the boys' backpacks from their lockers outside. I started opening the garage door at that time to let the mama bird out since she'd been trapped in the garage all night on her nest. I am crazy, I know. And that's when I put two-and-two together. The bird I saw every morning when I opened the curtains was her mate. He was waiting to get to his lady friend probably to feed her.

One day, when I opened the curtains and saw him on the porch I had an epiphany: That bird is just like God. God is fully committed to us; to you and to me. He is always there patiently waiting for us to open the curtains. He desires to feed us and even check on us. The little bird mate would sit on the fence or the boys' playhouse if we had the garage open just to check on his love. God does that. He sits quietly checking on us. Sometimes, He even swoops down and buzzes us to get our attention. Sometimes we miss him and don't notice him sitting on the front porch. We get distracted and don't realize he is on the fence waiting for us to look up. But, he is always there; steady.

It's ironic that we have been swarmed with birds. We are animal lovers here at the Fish house all of us wanting to be on a real farm one day. I would laugh every time another animal came around knowing it was God's way of giving me a little piece of what I dream to have one day. Isn't it interesting that he would teach me something about the value of his dedication and his one true love for me through a dove. Very fitting if you ask me :)

Love & Blessings,
Meg

"After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him" Matthew 3:16

"May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ." 2 Thessalonians 3:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.