Skip to main content

YOU

"Heaven will tell the stories the earth missed." Jenni Allen

This week I witness over 200 volunteers serve in various capacities. We had the front and center servants on stage in crazy costumes singing, dancing, and acting out funny parts. You had those who braved the Texas summer heat and played games with kids all morning long. Then there were those who were the creatives bringing Bible stories to life through a gadget. Then there were those who cut, prepared, and served over 600 snacks each day. I also saw countless people leading and guiding kiddos from station to station keeping them engaged, dealing with those behaviors that can be frustrating, and loving on them like Jesus. Last, and certainly not least, I watched men and women put in countless hours behind the scenes making things happen so this event could be a success. Some of these people were seen. Some received praise for their service. Others remained under the radar and will never be praised on this earth for helping change the lives of countless children. The accolades did not matter. These beautiful people served any way.

My husband is really good about knowing who he is. He doesn't try to be someone else. He doesn't care if people like him or not. He is not out to try and prove himself to others. He doesn't need praise, titles, and awards. Me, on the other hand? It feels real good when someone pats me on the back. I do things under the radar but every now and then, I need that compliment, someone to notice me, to propel me forward.

We honestly don't know what stories are the big ones and which are the small ones. Only Heaven will tell. So, why not live small?!

We are all created differently. I think we can all agree on that. We were built to do different things for different purposes. This is what makes this world so extraordinary. I was talking to my neighbor the other day. Her family is adjusting to some changes and its pulling her out of the comfort of her introverted self. Parts of it are uncomfortable and parts are wonderful. Change is like that. While I was listening to her, a thought crossed my mind. Why do we strive to be what we weren't created to be?

I was rejected a couple of times this past year. I went for things I thought I could do, only to be told no. It hurt. It stung. I felt all the feelings. I knew I could do these things and I knew I could do them well. However, the people behind the "no" saw that I was created to do something different. They saw the opportunity as limiting and not utilizing my gifts to their fullest capacity. I didn't like those "no-s." Who does? I felt the stab of that answer. But, once the dust cleared, I realized my value to the Kingdom, to this earth, is not rolled up in those missed opportunities. So, I keep-on-keepin'-on owning who I am where I am serving the best I know how.

God designed you and me exactly as we are for a specific purpose. He needs the introvert AND the extrovert. I see how beautifully that works in my marriage (even though we do sometimes clash). We need both. We need those on stage and those in the background. If we didn't have all kinds of personalities, this world would be dull and gray.

When it comes to serving as Christians, I think we feel like we always have to do more: bigger, better, grander. What we don't realize, is that we need each of us just as we are serving together to create a master piece for His glory. When we try to be something we are not because we feel we aren't good enough just the way we are, we lose sight of our purpose and His mission.

We have given value to certain things here on earth. We have made it known that a microphone and a platform have far more power and are more important than the man running the sound board. What we don't realize is that without the sound technician, there is no sound.

Be who you are. Own yourself for you are exquisite. God designed you as that introvert to do GREAT and MIGHTY things just as he created the extrovert to do the same. We need both. Heaven knows the small stories matter. Look at Jesus. He was a carpenter. He chose to be around those who were marginalized and forgotten; the people others shunned because they didn't have value. He knows we are wired to look at the stage first so he chose to be with those who would have hung the lights and set the stage. That's you. And that's me.

Serve where you belong. You matter there. I witnessed 600 kids be served this week by people were willing to sacrifice their time and not be seen in order for a life to be changed. And I can guarantee you, when these precious kiddos grow up, they will remember that leader who held their hand far more than the songs on stage.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.