Skip to main content

Normal

You know what I love? Normalcy. Summer brings the freedom from crazy schedules, long summer days, and last minute plans. It begs us to play in the water and eat far too many snow cones (or shaved ice or snow balls depending on where you reside). Summer beckons us to achieve sun-kissed cheeks and stay up late to watch the fireflies leaving the normal everyday crazy schedule behind. We long for the lazy days of summer as the school year comes to a close itching to turn the alarm off. Suitcases lie in wait hoping to be filled ready to go somewhere tropical or mountainous. Pools sparkle in the hot sun waiting for a canon ball. Summer is sweet; a welcomed reprieve.

I was making the boys eggs the other day while drinking my coffee. We had just come off of a week of going here-there-and-everywhere. For some reason, this summer does not feel lazy. We took off from the gates into activities and vacation. I am not one to fill our summers with camps and commitments. The kids need a break from the rigmarole of crazy schedules. And, quite frankly, so do I. But, for some reason, this summer has felt busy. So, it was nice to have a slow morning doing the mundane task of cooking breakfast. My body ached for normalcy. As much as I strive for something else, something more, something better, I always come back to the mundane.

Normal is where I live. It's where I breath and do life. I go on vacation desperately needing a break ready to come home to the norm at the end. I long for my bed, my kitchen, my washer and dryer, and the way my house smells. I like the routine; the rhythm our family has created together. I find myself, my God, and my people in the normal.

Our wandering hearts desire something outside the norm. We convince ourselves that there is more outside the mundane and begin the chase to find it leaving our souls depleted and empty not realizing the true life happens in the very day. There is so much life to be had in our mundane every day lives.

I scroll through Instagram and Facebook relishing in the vacations of my friends. I see their pictures of white sandy beaches and my toes long to be in the sand. My mind wanders thinking I need more than the comforts of my couch. But then reality hits, I get out there and get going outside the norm and I long to be back home.

Life happens in the mundane. Normal is where we live most of our lives. It's time to stop running from the norm and start living in it. That's where the good stuff happens: the snuggles, the family movie nights, ideas are spawned, precious conversations between spouses are had, children are loved and developed. Normal is where the good stuff resides.

I am currently sitting on my couch upstairs with nothing on our agenda. I hear one of my boy's talking to himself while he creates something with his vibrant imagination. I am listening to my other two working together to defeat the bad guy on their video game. It's boring. There's no sandy beach or smell of mountain air. But, it is precious because it is my normal and I love it.

Their is glory in the mundane. Life is lived mostly in this space. I want to see it, smell, it, touch it, taste it, and live the normal, boring, every-day-life to the fullest. I like the normal. It feels good; like an old pair of jeans that fits just right. Today, I live fully in the normal loving every last second of it.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.