Skip to main content

The Year of Strong: Almost 40

I turned 39 in May. My last year in my thirties. I have absolutely loved my thirties. I feel I have found myself here. I have learned what matters and what I can leave behind. I have discovered the true meaning of friendship and holding tight to that tribe that wants to be in my life. I have grown more deeply in love with my husband and enjoyed watching my boys come into their own. I am going to mourn my thirties when they finally pass. Not because I am fearful of aging. Rather, I am going to mourn that season that was so deep, so wide and so good.

I am looking forward to my forties. I have friends who have crossed over and I am witnessing such freedom in their lives. I still long for that freedom in some areas. Just because I learned great deal about myself in my thirties does not mean that I don't have much to learn still. One thing I am learning is how to treat myself. For so long, my focus and emphasis to my physical health was how I looked on the outside. If I am thin enough on the exterior, than that must mean that I am healthy on the interior. What I have found is, this is just not true.

I took my boxing gloves and wraps off and threw them on the ground. I was beat down from an extraordinary workout on the bag and still reeling in leg pain from my workout the day before. But, my workout was not over. I was only halfway done. I still had push-ups with my feet on the ball, battle ropes, up-downs in plank, and step-up repeaters. I thought I may die (or throw-up), but I persevered and pushed through. I didn't do this because I think I am tough. Quite the opposite, actually. I am weak.

'But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.' 2 Corinthians 9-10

When I looked down at my gloves on the floor, I wanted to quit. I had gotten a good workout in. Why did I need to stay? I felt weak but knew deep down that I am stronger than what my head was telling me. I am not stronger within myself. I am stronger because of Him.

I have decided that this is the year of strong. I no longer look to my outsides to determine the health of my insides. I stand confident in my strength because I know where my strength comes from. And when I feel weak and like I should quit, that's when I am at my strongest because I have to dig deep to find it.

Knowing I can complete a workout, feel good, and not pass out means far more to me than the number on the scale. How I feel on the inside about myself far outweighs how I look on the outside. This year, as I leave my thirties and enter my forties, I want to be physically stronger than I have ever been. I want to tackle those hand-stand push-ups like a boss and beat the boys on our laps. And when all is said and done and I am a sweaty mess, I will confidently know the One who pushed me through.

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.