Skip to main content

Chow Down

I went into my youngest's room to pick up the floor and straighten the beds. Their fish, Goldie, started swimming around like a maniac. I assumed he hadn't been fed yet, so I obliged and gave him a few flakes committed to not allowing the fish to die on my watch. I made sure I followed the boys' instructions for fish care implicitly. They have them taped to the wall in case one may forget. Three flakes of food. That is all this little Beta needs. Three tiny little flakes. How depressing.

The moment I drop the food in the tank, he grabs them. If he had teeth, he would bite my finger. Hungry little fella. A little food for a little fish.

Isn't this true for our spiritual life? We take in a little bit of the Word only growing in small amounts. We have good reason why we aren't reading our Bibles very much. Our schedules are overloaded. The kids are little and interrupt us every time we try and pick it up. We are too tired before bed at night and cannot, no matter what we try, get up early in the morning. The kids are early risers anyway. So, waking early wouldn't help. Life easily gets in the way preventing us from reading the Bible.

"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil." Hebrews 5:12-14

Too many of us have been Christians for far too long to be only "drinking milk" instead of partaking in "solid food."

We have every excuse out there but what it really comes down to is the fact that we are not willing to sacrifice our time to be in the Word. We stay stuck small in our faith walk because we are not committed to growth. We are not digging into the Word of God. Therefor, we are stuck; small and stagnant in our faith.

If we want remain small in our faith, then we can continue to eat small flakes of his Word. If we want to grow and strengthen our walk, then we must chow down on Scripture feeding our souls continuously with the good stuff; the solid food.

The more we read, the more we understand. The more we understand, the more we apply to our lives. The more we apply to our lives, the better the world around us becomes. This doesn't mean that the trials and tribulations subside. It means our perspective shifts and we are better equipped to handle what comes our way.

It is time we get off our spiritual diets and start eating the good stuff. I don't want to only nibble on three flakes. I want to eat the whole loaf of bread. And you know what? I will have dessert, too!

Don't allow life get in the way of your spiritual growth. Don't keep feeding yourself milk because you don't feel equipped enough to handle the solid foods. The equipping happens as you dig in and take bites. Little by little progressing like an infant to a toddler.

We may never fully become "adults" on this faith journey. But, we surely can move in that direction if we allow ourselves to chow down.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.