Skip to main content

A Life Surrendered

"A surrendered yes to where ever you are leading." Ellie Holcomb

Calling. Purpose. Life. These are words we contemplate to give ourselves meaning. We need to matter; have an impact on this planet greater than ourselves. We long to have purpose. But man, that can be tough to figure out. Life is constantly changing. We are continuously adapting. The world never stops spinning.

Here's what I have learned about my calling. It has changed and morphed over the years. I have changed and morphed over the years. What I did ten years ago isn't what I am supposed to do today. My calling, my life purpose, should align with my passions. My calling may also make me a little uncomfortable and challenge me. Sometimes, our calling takes a lot of work. It doesn't always come naturally.

God will often call us to something without giving us next steps. Our first step is always obedience even obedience. Always. We obey even if next steps are unknown. Take the first step of obedience and the rest will follow one-step-at-a-time.

I had to learn to let God evolve my call. I am a planner. I like to know what is coming next so I can prepare. I have multiple calendars because I like to visual my days and months. Allowing God to evolve my call is a tough one for me. Unfortunately, God isn't hanging out at my kitchen table on January 1st helping me with my visions and goals. He also has his perfect timing which typically doesn't mesh with mine. He tends to be late all the time. Ugh.

I can look back on my life and know specific moments when God placed a call on my life. However, that call did not come to fruition right in that moment. I have taken man different routes to get to that call living out a different purpose along the way. When I pushed against God and what he had for me in that moment trying to rush the call, I often experienced frustration and heartache.

I have also learned not to force the call. It's so easy to want to jump in and get started on a dream. I get so excited to get started and tend to rush things that weren't meant to be lived in a hurry. Thankfully, God was genius enough to pair me with a waiter. Not the kind of waiter at a restaurant (although that's how we met). My husband is a guy who can wait with the best of them. Which, in turn, forces me to wait.

You want that couch? Do you mind waiting two weeks?
You want to get married? Let's graduate college first.
You want a kid? Let's get a house first.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Waiting is hard. I don't like waiting. But, sometimes God has to evolve us before we can live out our call. He needs us to live some life and have some experiences before jumping in. I would rather do a cannon ball than stick my toes in first. However, I have learned the value of the wait. Living out my calling after some time has passed makes me better and more equipped for what my calling may bring.

We, especially us Christians, pine after our calling like a seventh grade girl and her crush. We need to know what we are supposed to do for God right this very second. If God isn't going to tell us, then we are just going to have to take matters into our own hands and force something to happen. This never works out too well for us.

I like what Ellie Holcomb says, "A surrendered yes to where ever you are leading." You are leading right now. Yes, you. You are leading in your home, in your workplace, with your friends, and with your family. The question is: Are you leading with palms open or fists tight?

Surrender.

Obey.

Let God evolve your call.

Take one step; one step of obedience. And then take the next step. And then the next. Your calling will flourish in the steps.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.